My Chaston mess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Chaston mess

I know I'm really only going to solve this by going to NRO and burying myself in microfilm - but hopefully I can sort the little riddles until I'm able to get there.

I'm trying to see if I can confirm a connection between two families called Chaston living not far from each other in Norfolk.

MY LINE

John Chaston bp 1793 Great Hockham, Norfolk, son of Isaac Chaston and Elizabeth Cook.

siblings are Jemima bp 1791 and Samuel bp 1796

Mystery Line

just down the road in Tottington Norfolk the following show up in 1841 onwards

Isaac Chaston c1806 Tottington
    wife - Elizabeth ????

sister of Isaac
    Elizabeth Chaston c1797 Tottington

in 1841 there is another Elizabeth Chaston in the household aged 70 - putting her the right age for Isaac/Eizabeths mother

I'm mostly pinning this on the birth/baptisms indicating a move of my Chastons from Hockham to Tottington (mainly based on mother Elizabeth)

Tottington Isaac names his sons Samuel, William, John and Isaac.

I don't really know where I'm going with this.

My first problem is that I can't yet see a death of Tottington Elizabeth in the right area. She is alive in 1861 but no sign after that.

Common mis-spells = Chasten, Cheston, Chesten

and I've confirmed in Parish Records for Hockham and Cressingham a name variation of Chesnutt/Chestnutt

Any help/suggestions/solutions greatly appreciated

Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

forgot - there's a possible death for mother Elizabeth in 1850 in Depwade.

I think the reg district for Tottington is Swaffham though so i'm not sure
    Zoe in London

Comment

Zoe

No help I'm afraid. Eventually the Norfolk Baptism Project will get around to the parishes you want - though I think they only do baptisms from 1813 onwards.

Or Freereg.

But if you do plan a trip to NRO let me know as I have lots of stuff I need to do and it would be great to meet up with you and have someone else to say "can you read this?" to!!!
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

oooooo - are you asking me out on a date???
        Zoe in London

Comment

Swaffham reg district 1837- doesn't include those parishes.

Hockham and Tottington are in Wayland 1837-1974.

Comment

Zoe - depends on your idea of a "date" (though of course, to a family historian an offer to spend all day in a dark room peering at microfilm of someone's illegible scrawl is better than wine and roses, lol!).

I was hoping to get my notsurehowtorefer to husband who has left me but we're still married to have the kids while I have a weekend in Norwich. It would be spending all Sat in records office/millennium library which also has lots of parish registers on microfilm & fiche, whilst having Fri eve and Sunday for sight-seeing, eating and drinking and maybe catching up with FTF members around Norwich.

Comment

oooooh - yaaay. I'm game. Never done the Millenium library before.

Let me know when you're thinking as I tend to go up and do Thursday/Friday solid research as well - and I have to fit my holidays around 6 other people in the office.

Would your husbandtypething have my Mum as well?
              Zoe in London

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                Swaffham reg district 1837- doesn't include those parishes.

Hockham and Tottington are in Wayland 1837-1974.
                Hmmmmm - if thats the case then all my unscrambling of Swaffham on the other thread was a waste of time.

I think I saw a possible in Wayland though. BRB
                Zoe in London

Comment

Zoe

I will have to check with husb about dates - and would probably only be able to manage to get up Fri even (as don't want to leave kids to own devices all day during hols). Or after Sep when they are back at school.

Millennium Library is about a mile's walk (or bus ride) away from the NRO, which is annoying, but the library is open all Saturday whereas NRO shuts at 12.00. The parish records bit is on 2nd floor and its leave stuff in lockers (£1 or token), pencils only. There's also a vast range of books on local history too. It's in the Forum which has shops, coffee shops etc.

When I went to the Norwich meet I did look ups there and of course got home and promptly going through notes found lots of other stuff I needed to check. My bad luck is that the marriage registers for Limpenhoe and baptism registers for Topcroft for the period I am most interested in are both water-damaged :-(

Comment

got Tottington Elizabeth I think:

Elizabeth Cheston/Chesten (two transcriptions), 1862 Wayland

I may order that in hope it says "daughter of" on it.

and there's an Elizabeth Cheston in 1848 that's probably Mother ELizabeth

That's £14 though on a hunch.

£21 if i get the one for Isaac Cheston in 1860 as well

I'd be unhappy to write them all off for just for being Cheston as the name on my line went from Chesnutt to Chaston
                    Zoe in London

Comment

Hmmmmmmmm - should I buy this just based on the name variation being the same?

Will of William Chesnut otherwise Chaston, Husbandman of Croxton , Norfolk

Croxton isn't that far from the area I'm looking at - although it's not a quick skip across a few fields either.
                      Zoe in London

Comment

Well the Will is probably cheaper than a cert and may give you more information...

Comment

Working...
                        X