95 years - not a bad age in 1844!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 95 years - not a bad age in 1844!

I have now received 4 of the 5 death certificates I sent for last Saturday (expected despatch date yesterday).

I sent for the death certificate of my 4xgt grandfather Thomas Quintrell who died on 24th September 1841 in St Austell, aged 88.

I couldn't resist getting another certificate, because on the 1841 census Thomas (given as 89) was with Mary Quintrell, 92. They were both blind.

Mary's death certificate has just arrived, and she is indeed Thomas' sister. It states that Mary Quintrell died on 21st December 1844 aged 95, a spinster, from old age. The informant was her great-niece. Mary Quintrell was baptised on 11th April 1748 in St Gerrans Cornwall.

Not bad going for those days, and probably (one of) the oldest in my tree!
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

I remember them!

What did Mary's have for occupation? I like the ones where it says daughter of X for spinsters in old age!

Comment

Elizabeth

I can trump that, lol! 1845 my gt x 4 grandfather John Gray died at the age of 97!!!

I do have quite a few ag labs and their wives who died in their mid-80s to early 90s.

I think that if they survived the childhood killer diseases and had fairly strong constitutions, the lifestyle - plenty of vigorous excercise, mainly in fresh unpolluted air, plus a diet rich in home grown organic vegetables, enabled them to live so long.

The women of course had the additional hurdle of the perils of childbearing to overcome too, though your Mary obviously didn't have that worry.
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

out of curiosity I looked at the old women in my tree recently.

Plenty lived to a fair old age but the ones that lived longest were those who didn't have children, who lasted well into their 90s

I haven't yet decided if this makes me want children of my own more or less
        Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

What is interesting is that my John Grey's cause of death is given as "disease of the bladder 7/8 years" whereas virtually all the other ones in their 90s just say "old age".

Comment

Her occupation is "Spinster"! :D

What does being a spinster entail??

(Off to the garden centre - back soon!)
            Elizabeth
            Research Interests:
            England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
            Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Herts View Post
              Her occupation is "Spinster"! :D

What does being a spinster entail??
              in my world it's mainly sitting around eating cake
              Zoe in London

Comment

Originally posted by samesizedfeet View Post
                in my world it's mainly sitting around eating cake
                like Marie Antoinette?

Comment

Spinster is an old term for an unmarried woman, from the prevalent occupation of spinning, just as husband comes from the term husbandman, an ag lab who looked after animals.

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                    like Marie Antoinette?
                    yes, very much like Marie Antoinette,

but without the big hair

Zoe in London

Comment

Marie Antoinette spent quite a bit of time sewing, but that was only after she'd been imprisoned.

She spent a fair bit of time buying jewels, I believe.

Comment

My GGgrandpa. a farmer, retired at the age of 83 & died at 101 in 1917, after rearing 8 children - I wish I could find his will!
                        Bridget

Comment

My relatives in the 1700s lived much longer lives than my relatives in the 1800s.

As Nell says, small rural communities, fresh air, good wholesome food and not much opportunity to catch the killer diseases.

In the 1800s, they moved into Manchester, spent 16-18 hours a day in a filthy mill and bought whatever adulterated food was on offer. Then they usually caught TB and died.

OC

Comment

Henry, who was 89 when he died, was the bailiff for the Carlyon family estate at St Blazey and probably spent a lot of his time outside. There are a few papers at the Cornwall Record Office mentioning him in connection with the Carlyon estate.

However, on his death certificate he is given as "Farmer". I suppose he might have farmed as well.

He moved from Gerrans to take the post further east in the St Blazey/ St Austell area.
                            Elizabeth
                            Research Interests:

Comment

OC is right. All the London-based rellies of self and nearlyex were much less long lived, and virtually all of them died of lung diseases - TB, asthma, bronchitis , pneumonia, etc.

Comment

Yes, my poor Alexanders who moved from rural Berkshire in the 1830s to Bury/Heywood in Lancashire lost five out of eight children very rapidly. They went young into the mills and three of them were dead 5 years later. (Girls)

Luckily none of the next generation went into the mills, except my great-grandfather became a Textile Designer (he was very artistic).

Also, my Jeffcoat ancestors died from Cholera in the 1850s (both the husband and wife within 6 weeks of each other) in London (Brompton area).
                                Elizabeth
                                Research Interests:

Comment

Working...
                                X