Is this just a strange coincidence?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this just a strange coincidence?

I was searching for possible marriages for Isaac Chaston and came across these grouping on ancestry.......

1838 Apr-May-Jun 13 431 Swaffham Norfolk
    Elizabeth Beales
    Ann Maria Catton
    Isaac Chaston
    Robert Hunt
    Charles Rose
    Elisabeth Ward

1838 Jul-Aug-Sep 13 413 Swaffham Norfolk
    Sarah Barnard
    Elizabeth Beales
    Robert Carter
    Isaac Chaston
    James Ellett
    Sarah Ann Fuller
    Charles Rose
    Elizabeth Ward

What do you think? Is it a coincidence?
    Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Well, I've seen stranger coincidences, but I have also seen, in the early years of the GRO, a bit of confusion.

They do appear to have indexed some marriages twice, especially those which occurred at the very end of a quarter - maybe something to do with the Vicar not entering it in the right quarter?

OC

Comment

Seems to coincidental to be a coincident

Danny
      http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=528974734

Comment

Could there have been some kind of mistake in the first registrations and they had to be re-done ?
        Diane
        Sydney Australia
        Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

I think the vicar duplicated his GRO return for these two couples:

I notice the GRO page number is much higher for the Q1 record (page 431) and only 413 for the Q2 record. This suggests these two couples married around the turn of the quarter (say 1st April 1838).

If the vicar sent of his Q1 return a little late, he might have accidentally included the 1st April on the return. When the summary pages were indexed at the GRO the page with these marriages on would be indexed with the last number issued to that particular church. If at the end of Q2 the vicar looked back through his records and began his return with the correct marriages (ie those celebrated on 1st April) then the GRO would index the page with these two marriages with the first number issued for that particular church,......and Bob's yer uncle! lol

Comment

even more confused now

THought I'd look at the pages either side to see if I could spot which one was the beginning/end of the run for that quarter (not sure how that would have helped though). Couldn't find the pages at all.

Ended up looking at all pages for Swaffham for each quarter.

Peculiarly, with two exceptions, Swaffham returns are ALL on odd numbered pages - there are no hits for the even numbers in between

e.g.
            June Quarter 1838 Swaffham returns volume 13

pages run from 417 to 435, but just the odd pages

(exception two entries one on page 424 one on 424a)

September quarter pages run from 399 to 417 all odd pages, no evens except 4 entries the show up on page 418

Can someone who understands the page/volume numbering tell me if this is normal?
            Zoe in London

Comment

Does this make sense? .......Swaffham registration district would include several subdistricts, each of which probably had one or more country churches where not many marriages happened each quarter. Each vicar would have sent in his quarterly return on the official form but may well have only filled in one or two entries and quite possibly none on the reverse of the form. These forms were then bound together to make up Swaffham returns, with more odd pages than even filled in.
              Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

yes - that makes perfect sense

end explains why my possible duplicates from beginning/end of quarter appear in the middle of the numbers

It's all very complicated isn't it

I don't even know that this Isaac is mine anyway.

I have a hunch his father (name unknown) is brother of my 4 x great grandfather - so I'm trying to work the family out
                Zoe in London

Comment

Is it if there are lots of churches that only conducted four or less marriages in a Q (before 1852 - after which there are half the number of marriages to a page.

Let's do an example! pmsl!!

The Rev Smith conducts three marriages in Q4 1840 at St Mary's, Littletown

The Rev Williams conducts four marriages at St Peter's, Littlevillage

The Rev Burgess conducts five marriages at St Catherine's, Littlehamlet.

The Rev Thompson conducts two marriages at All Saints, Littleborough

The Rev Stockley conducts 45 marriages at the Cathedral at Littlecity

All these places are in the same district.

Each vicar completes his end of Q return to the GRO. They are given forms to complete whith room for four marriages on each side of each form.

Revs Smith, Williams and Thompson only fill up one side of one form each.

Rev Burgess completes one full side of one form and one marriage on the other side of the same form.

Rev Stockley completes 11ΒΌ sides of GRO returns.

All the vicars sent their sheets to the GRO.

The GRO make a pile of all the sheets of returns and then they would stamp them with page numbers, for the front and back of each sheet. The less busy churches will have page numbers issued to blank sides of paper in many cases. So when the indexes are drawn up there will be lots of even numbers that are not included because there were no marriages written on those page numbers!

Does that make sense?

Comment

Doh, I was doing knitting with my daughter whilst typing and I was too slow! lol

Comment

Working...
                    X