Any idea on marriage cert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any idea on marriage cert

My ggrandparents marriage record is no where to be found...have search all the usual places but can't seem to find it anywhere. Any ideas where to look next.

Charlotte Mary Mathias b 16 Apr 1888 born Okehampton Bradford Devon. married
    Albert George Denford b. 17 May 1887 Hatherleigh Devon.

immigrated to Canada 1909 on the steamship S.S. Corinthian, which left London November 25, 1909 and arrived in Halifax December 10, 1909. They were listed on the ship record as George Denford and Lottie Denford. Not sure if they married in Devon, London or on board the ship. Have even searched the New Brunswick records in case they didn't marry until after they arrived in Canada. Can't find their record anywhere.

Have a rellie in Devon who has checked the parish records for Bradford but nothing there either.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Are they single in 1901?

I sympathise. My gt grandmother Emma Matthews (nee Moore) was widowed in Islington on 1 May 1879 (her 14th wedding anniversary). She appears 1881 census taken 3 Apr 1881 with 2nd husband in Greenwich.

No marriage in likely churches in either Islington or Greenwich (though are are lots I haven't tried). Can't get any sense out of Islington register office. Nothing in GRO indexes from 1879 up to 1909 when 2nd husband John Garvie died. No previous marriage for John which would have prevented a marriage to gt gran. Very frustrating.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Have you tried on the "Overseas" indexes? (Available on findmypast and Family Relatives)
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Little Nell.......yes it is frustrating...there are a few things shady about this couple and I'm beginning to think they may never have officially married. If they did since both from Devon I checked in their perspective areas then in London since I thought they may have ran off together and married before departing for Canada Albert George Denford was a bit of a rouge and a smooth talker according to my Mum. My Mum says she never felt comfortable around him even as a young child. He may have convinced Charlotte to run away with him and never officially married her. The passanger list shows them as both Denford thou so don't know. Charlotte was brought up very religious background as both her grandfather and ggrandfather were C of E. clergymen. Although her own father was a bit of a black sheep....lol.

KiteRunner yes I have checked every avenue but can't find their marriage record....even did phonic searches, just first names etc. The passanger list has them as George and Lottie but real first names were Albert and Charlotte so don't know where to look next.

Comment

Working...
        X