Regimental Birth Query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regimental Birth Query

I have been given a reference for a possible Army birth. I know that he was baptised in Kinsale, County Cork at the end of Dec 1810. What are the chances of him being born in Ireland, yet being registered in Landguard? (Googling comes up with very few offerings, but does mention a Fort in Suffolk)

GRO Regimental Birth Indices
    Army Births and Baptisms 1761-1924
    John Darlison
    Place, Landguard
    Year 1811
    Regt 1st
    Vol 84
    Pg 31

And I'm guessing that "Regt 1st" is possibly the 1st Qtr and that is what I would use as part of the reference number when ordering the certificate?

Margaret

Regt 1st will stand for First Regiment of Foot in other words one of the Guards Regiments. These first foot army records are in the Museums of whatever regiment he was in, irish, scottish, grenadier guards etc. You reckon he was baptised end of December 1810 and if he was from Ireland he would most probably want his child baptised in Ireland and it was always done quickly if it was a Catholic baptism, There will be no "Quarter" as Registration did not occur until 1837 in England and Wales and 1864 in Ireland so that is all you will get, a baptism. There will be no birth certificate as you know it but you have a lot of info for ireland by finding this baptism in the Regimental registers. have you checked for any more siblings?

Janet
    Last edited by Janet; 27-06-08, 14:22.

Comment

In 1811, soldiers would be moving all over the place. If the wife was travelling with the soldier, it is highly likely that army baptism is very different from place of birth.
      Phoenix - with charred feathers
      Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

As far as we know, John was the third son. The first was born in Canada and the second in Gibraltar. Their father, John Sr., was born in England c1770. He was discharged from the 6th Foot in April 1816 and remarried as a widower in July 1816 in England. He went on to have 4 more sons; there may have been a daughter also.

The kind lady who found this entry for me said there was no listing for the older brothers. I was also looking for the marriage of John Sr and the death of his first wife, but no luck so far.

Comment

Was just going over the transcript of the Enlistment and it said:
          Regimental Book of His Majesty’s Sixth Regiment of Foot (Royal 1st Warwickshire Regiment of Foot)

Maybe the Regt 1st will apply after all - I thought it didn't because he was discharged from the 6th Foot.

Comment

Working...
          X