Re; previous thread about Fathers Records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re; previous thread about Fathers Records

As you are aware I am going to arrange DNA testing for me and my Sister just to hopefully confirm if its possible we have different Fathers.
    Anyway I rang the doctors to see if they could recommend somewhere and they tell me you have to see a solicitor and have counselling first ??? so I have had to make an appopintment with him ,is that right????

My OH had a DNA test to match him with his bio father (not the man on his birth cert). This was probably three years ago and there was no mention of counselling.

Comment

Having said that, he probably had no contact with the Drs beforehand.

Comment

really Merry ??? where did he go for it ??? can a Doctor do it

Comment

He's just pulled up in the car with his dad, so I have to go and unstick the chilli from the pan, but I will ask him about it during/after lunch and see what he says, because I've forgotten!!

Nope, I'll ask him now.....hang on!

Comment

Right. He used a private company for the test (I can get the docs for it is you are interested later)

For the test with his father they were intending to make an amendment to the birth cert (you can do this under certain circumstances, but they didn't bother in the end ) which meant the ttest had to be done in front of a professional (his dad's GP who knew both of them). They did mouth swabs at the GP surgery. Dr signed a form and they sent off the samples. There was a small charge at the GP for signing and a hefly fee from the test company!

OH has had another DNA test done, which I can't go into here, but where the results were of no consequence to anyone else, just him and the other person concerned, so in that case the mouth swabs were done here at home and the samples sent off to the company for testing and the results returned to him.

No councelling mentioned in either case.

Going to scrape the pots now! lol

Comment

I agree with Merry - you can have a test done via the pharmacy or directly through a website. You do not have to have counselling.

The counselling bit only comes into it if you use the GP/National Health Service.

One or two members on here have had DNA tests in the short lifetime of this site and did not have counselling as they used private companies.

Private companies assume you have worked out how you will feel, depending on the results (or maybe they don't care). The NHS assumes you haven't thought about the consequences at all and need to be made aware of how you might feel afterwards.

OC

Comment

OC puts it better! lol

I would imagine as you only want the results for your own personal erm....satisfaction (wrong word?) then you would not need to involve the NHS at all.

Comment

thanks Merry and glad I dont like Chilli !!!!!!!!!
                  and OC thanks again am off to ring the pharmacy !!!!

Comment

I am sure that Gwynne did a DNA test recently - for different reasons than you! - and I am sure she looked at the various possibilities on offer.
                    Might be worth sending her a pm - she might be able to advise you.
                    Elaine

Comment

thanks Elaine

Comment

Hi Val just had an E.mail from Ancestry saying they are doing DNA testing

Comment

James

I don't think the Ancestry test is suitable for Val's needs as they only do Y testing, or mtDNA testing.

I also have very serious concerns as to what happens to the test information gathered by Ancestry, but that's another subject. If she uses a British company, they have very strict rules about privacy and end user information.

OC

Comment

You could try Anglia DNA - 01342 850852 - who were very helpful with one of my cases. They will tell you the ins and outs of what's required and if you want a legal conclusion or not - different procedures apply.

or Cellmark - 0800 0436 700 - (no idea what they're like).

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

thanks OC and Jbee I did look at ancestry but dont think its for me .

Comment

Working...
                              X