Hooray, I've found a body!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hooray, I've found a body!!

Those of you with London ancestors will know how hard it is to find burials well I've just found one definite and two possibles in St George's Southwark which has just been added to the City of London Burials on FindmyPast! I am so excited!

Not being used to burials can someone tell me what details there are on parish registers ie do they give next of kin or whatever?
    Sue

Generally you get name/age/last residence, and that's about it.

Sometimes you get a relationship: child/spouse of...

Christine

PS - love your provocative title!
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

and sometime you might get a cause of death.

it really does vary from place to place but Name, Age and residence seem to be the basics.
      Vikki -
      Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

Thanks Christine and Vikki, so probably what you get on the City of London Burials database is the full transcript. I'll double check on my next visit to the LMA, I'm hoping that one of the possibles is my definite's wife (if you see what I mean) but both are called Sarah with a plausible dob (I know nothing about this woman apart from her christian name)
        Thanks again
        Sue

Comment

Very pleased when I found some of husband's London ancestors on City of London burials database - an age helped me to find a baptism, and an address showed that granny was living with her married daughter.
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
          X