Photo dating of g. g. granddad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo dating of g. g. granddad

My Aunt has just sent me a copy of an old photo on which my Granddad had written on the back "Grandfather with Dad & Uncle Ted".

If this is right, it means that the little boy on the right (I assume as he was a year older) would have been my great Grandfather & the old gentleman in the middle was my great great Grandfather born in 1811 !!

I am hoping that the experts on here can help me date it; if the boys were approx 6 -10 years old that would put the photo between 1867-1871 at the latest!

Do you think their clothing would fit with those dates?

Thanks

Joanie

This would have been his wife (30 years age difference lol) and one of the daughters, born approx 1863 I think. The girl really looks like the boy on the left in the top photo don't you think?

Joanie

Comment

Could this be the daughter later on? I thought maybe taken in the late 1880's, early 1890's ?

Very strange because I have her ears (a smaller version I hasten to add lol) even though she may have been my great great aunt, lol!!

:D

Joanie

Comment

I've seen that middle photo before!!

Certainly the first one fits very well. Love the boys jackets!

Is that first photo just dirty or is it stained? A few years back I used a damp cotton bud (just water) and took loads of dirt off some old photos. I'm sure it's not the right thing to do, but it did work (tested a corner first each time) and there's been no deterioration since.

Comment

Ah yes Merry, I put it up on here trying to date it before; we decided it was around 1869-71 from the census as you kindly found the photographer, lol!!

Looking more closely at photo number 3, is it just me or does her face look swollen on the right hand side?

Maybe she had mumps ?

It is a copy of the original Merry, my aunt has kindly got it done & sent it. I don't think I would like to tell her to clean it with a cotton bud, just in case!

Joanie

Comment

I agree, her face does look swollen.

Comment

Have you looked at her face in photoshop in close-up ?

I've altered the levels etc and there is a line following her chin .... (sort of outlining it) very difficult to see ....

Will emphasize it a bit and put it on here so you can see what I mean

Think the 'mumps' appearance could just be because the pic has very little depth and it's more likely to be a slight double chin, or fatty bit that side because of the position of her head

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Think it shows up OK with this change of contrast

Can't find the photographer on censuses ... but I think Brenda (Pyghtle) has a pic of a lady with similar hairdo and dress .. will see if I can locate it and look for a date

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

The dates fit the first two photos are 1860's early 1870's, the last photo I'd say late 1880's.

Comment

Thanks Rachel that is much better. I don't know if you can do anything with the 1st photo?

That's great Richard, would tie in very nicely ! Thanks!

Joanie

Comment

Was that the little girl who was "simple"? - I hate to use that as a classification

I would agree the first photo is late 1860s - how lucky to have that! and the last photo is late 1880s.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

I thought it was Louisa Tom but I think now that this was her older sister, maybe they didn't want to have her photographed? I did wonder if she could have had Down's syndrome as she died when she was in her thirties. I don't know if it would have been mentioned on her death certificate, I haven't sent off for it yet.

Thanks, I am extremely lucky I think, & now I feel like they have all been reunited in some way. Odd about the ears though, lol!! I have "pixie" ears too, although there isn't a point as such on the top, lol ! The old gent was the one that married his neice if you remember *tuts*

Joanie

Comment

I think the two little boys are wearing Zouave suits, which were popular at this time. These were named after french, algerian troops who wore them as uniform.

Comment

Is pic 2 wearing a bustle ?

Joan
                            I was looking at your pic 1 today and trying to determine their costumes ... but that much 'noise' on an image does make it difficult and I've been unable to find any proper reference

Very hard on the eyes when scrutinised in close-up ... but I did make a start on cleaning it up for personal reference if nothing else

Comment

Originally posted by Just Barbara View Post
                              I think the two little boys are wearing Zouave suits, which were popular at this time. These were named after french, algerian troops who wore them as uniform.
                              That's interesting Barbara .... am googling now

there was also a version for girls

1860's Girl's Zouave Suit Pattern (M)

Comment

Thanks Barbara that definitely looks like their outfits! That puts the date spot on then!

Rachel I think she has got a bustle, sorry the first pic is only a copy as I don't have the original. I guess if it's nearly 150 years old it's not that bad considering so I am just grateful for it whatever it's condition, lol!

Joanie

Comment

Am pretty certain the young lady is 1880s, not the very beginning, as that was when princess line was fashionable and she appears to have a bustle, I would have said the middle of the decade, ...;)

Comment

Originally posted by Joan of Archives View Post
                                    the first pic is only a copy as I don't have the original. I guess if it's nearly 150 years old it's not that bad considering so I am just grateful for it whatever it's condition, lol!
                                    It's a great pic Joan and not at all bad

here's one I was sent a couple of years ago

Comment

Working...
                                    X