Assize records at National Archives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assize records at National Archives

Does anyone know what Assizes records are held by TNA?

I've found a William Poole, who may be one of mine, who was convicted at Leicester Assizes on 25/3/1822 and sentenced to transportation for life. He was sent to Van Diemens Land (Tasmania).

Unfortunately the entries on Ancestry don't show his age, so I can't be sure if he's my William, and I haven't found any marriage or death in Tasmania, although he apparently applied for permission to marry in 1837. I've contacted the Leicestershire Records Office, but they don't hold any Assize records for that year, and say they may be held by TNA.

Anyone know what they have? I've tried searching the TNA site, but I can't find him there.

Any chance he'd be in any of the C19th papers on the Gale database?

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

No, that was the first thing I thought of, but he isn't.

Comment

Foiled!

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Ifyou look at the research guide to the Assizes on TNA website, it tells you what is available for each circuit. For Leics, it seems the only items they have for the right date is Crown and Gaol Books 1818-1864. There are also items under "other".

They won't be name indexed, so you wouldn't find him in the Catalogue. You'd have to go there or get someone to go for you.
          The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
          Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by annswabey View Post
            Ifyou look at the research guide to the Assizes on TNA website, it tells you what is available for each circuit.
            Where did you find that? I tried searching the TNA site, in the hope of finding something like that, but I've never really understood how to search it properly.

Do you have any idea what Crown and Gaol books are?

Comment

At last some one has emailed the link! I've been trying but the site is playing up.

From the menu bar choose research, education & online exhibitions, then the big research guides button.

These are really useful for anyone trying to work out how to access particular records.
              Phoenix - with charred feathers
              Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

NB I want to play with this too, so shall be reading up and hopefully dipping in to the Norfolk records. Check too with the County record office, as they may have some records too.
                Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Phoenix beat me to it in explaining about the research guides. You should always look at these first - really helpful. Gives a summary of what they have and the refs.
                  Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Crown books apparently list date of trial and verdict - may have other notes added about the trial, too.

Comment

Ah, thanks Phoenix and Ann - I'll remember that for next time.

Check too with the County record office, as they may have some records too.
                      No, I tried them first - it was them who said there might be something at TNA.

Comment

Mary

I've found a trial in Gloucestershire on the Oxford Circuit assizes and seen the original papers. But they were disappointing, as at that date they didn't have a transcription of the trial. Instead they list the judge, jury members, list of witnesses, and say when the trial was heard and the verdict.
                        ~ with love from Little Nell~
                        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Nell, I would KILL to find the names of the witnesses.

Comment

That is a bit disappointing, Nell. What I really need to know for William is his age and parents' names, to identify him; I don't suppose the report (if there is one) will have his parents' names, but I assume it will at least have his age. All I know so far is the date of the trial and the verdict.

Comment

Would his age be on the Tasmanian census?

Comment

Phoenix

Steady on!
                                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                                  Would his age be on the Tasmanian census?
                                  I've already looked at Archives Search Portal , which has the 1837 - 1857 census records; there is a William Poole, but it doesn't give his age, and I don't know if he's mine as there were at least 3 convicts of that name, and it doesn't give the name of the ship he was sent out on (the one I think is mine was on the Morley).

I found his application to marry on that site.

I can apply to them for his file, but I was hoping to be able to find out if he really is mine before forking out for it.

Comment

I haven't looked again this morning, but were there two applications to marry? (both had the ship name, I think)....One was about 1837 and the other one something like 1842/43. One was to another convict and the other to a free person. Doh, it would have been quicker to have taken another look than type this!! lol

Comment

Working...
                                    X