A little treasure trove

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little treasure trove

My thoughts are with my Mum at this time in particular. Tomorrow would have been her 89th birthday (she died in 2004).

It was she who introduced me and my daughter to family history. I have been going through one of her many files, very slim, but packed with information.

Firstly, some sheets from the Federation of Family History Socities on "How to determine Relationship" and the law of inheritance.

Secondly, lots of sheets giving details of parish records to look for, such as settlement papers, bastardy bonds, parish apprentices, etc. (3 pages of this).

Then, about 8 pages on how to read 16th/17th century handwriting and parish register Latin (she went on a course for a day).

Also, lots of family fact sheets from the Public Record Office.

Then a big section of information sheets from the Hampshire Genealogical Society.

Also, "What happened when" sheets, with dates of Kings/Queens and what records were made:

e.g. "Sovereign Elizabeth I
    1578 Earliest Quaker Registers
    1597 Parchment records to be kept by the clergy and the earlier paper records to be transferred to parchemnt. Also in the same year, Bishops' Transcripts began"

One little piece of paper has intrigued me - it is hand-written and entitled

"Fire of 1666
    The City Halls"

It lists those which were not burnt (includes armourerrs, bricklayers, plus others) and then gives the 44 which were burnt. I don't know whose handwriting it is.

Then, a poem "Christmas Day in the Workhouse" by George R. Sims 1883 (21 verses).

"The Basic Geometry of Heraldry"

Explanation of Baronets and Yeomen.

A photo of The Great Quarry in Guildford before it was built on (my grandparents moved there to a new house in 1926).

The most personal item is an exam paper my mum did in 1936-1937 at Edinburgh College of Domestic Science - she had to design a weekly menu for a household of 6. Father, mother, 3 school children and a maid. Income £600 Food allowance £4 per week.

It's a real social history! (She got 78 %) She had already been accepted into the Royal Veterinary College in London but was too young so she did a year in Edinburgh.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

What an interesting mixture of bits and pieces!

I shall know where to send any Latin extracts for translating now!!

I wonder what she meant about the earlier Quaker records though? I went to the local 350th anniversary of the Society of Friends and I think that was in 2002 (I remember my son being a toddler! lol) ....so what are these records your mother mentioned? Any ideas?? (George Fox was born in 1624 - I didn't remember that - I looked him up! lol)

BTW isn't interesting that food was £4 a week for a family with an income of £600. About a third of the income (£600 would be quite a lot then, wouldn't it? - professional earnings?) We certainly don't spend that sort of % of income on food, yet my OH still says I spend too much! :(

Comment

Merry, re. the food, I expect we make it up by eating out more. Also, they probably spent far less on leisure activities than we do, and to eat well was probably important to them.

The sheet with the date 1578 and Earliest Quaker registers looks like a photocopy from a magazine.

At the top is written:
      "Member Hannah Worboys has been extremely industrious on behalf of the Journal and has also contributed the following article which she calls "What happened when".
      Elizabeth
      Research Interests:
      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

One snippet I didn't know:

"1653-1660
        Banns preceding a marriage could be called at the nearest market place on three market days, instead of in Church, if required. [This alternative was used at Keighley, as recorded in the Parish Register. - Ed.]
        Elizabeth
        Research Interests:

Comment

Moral - join your local fhs! I wouldn't mind betting, Elizabeth, that at some time in the last thirty years your Mum and I were at the same event. Though her exam paper is undoubtedly the most precious thing amongst the lot.
          Phoenix - with charred feathers
          Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Herts View Post
            Merry, re. the food, I expect we make it up by eating out more. Also, they probably spent far less on leisure activities than we do, and to eat well was probably important to them.
            I agree entirely! (Though I don't remember going out to eat yet this year! lol :()

Banns in the market place? Never come across that one before ....was Keighley somewhere with a lot of non-conformists?

Comment

Phoenix - where are you? My mum lived in East Devon, but went down to Cornwall often to research our Quintrell line, and often up to Hampshire to Portsmouth and also to Surrey, where she came from.

She belonged to at least five family history societies, and probably more. Before the Internet, this was the best way to do your research. I have lots of letters she wrote (copies) and replies from people from various societies who did look-ups for her.

She made a lot of good friends through these countries, and also found extended family.
              Elizabeth
              Research Interests:

Comment

Elizabeth

How lovely to have these mementoes - and useful information - to treasure and pass on to your daughter.
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Merry

Banns in the market place was the result of the interregnum, I think, when people weren't allowed to marry in church. (Lots of them did, of course, but the records rarely survive)

OC

Comment

Elizabeth, I'm in Croydon, but my mother grew up in West Surrey and worked in Guildford before she married. I belong to quite a few different family history societies, including the HGS as my father came from Portsmouth. I still go to all the fh conferences on offer, and used to attend agms etc.

The internet is a wonderful thing, but I've lost a lot of data with crashing computers etc. whereas the letters I received in the early 1980s are filed, readable, and still pertinent to research (even the ones I thought irrelevant at the time!)
                    Phoenix - with charred feathers
                    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Phoenix -
                      What a coincidence!

My mum came from Guildford. My avatar is Elizabeth White (nee Stillwell) and W.E. White of Guildford, which started out as a draper's shop and turned into a mini department store and was in the High Street (where M&S is now) was her husband's business which she ran after his death in 1908. She was my great-great-grandmother. The shop only closed in the 1960s.

My mum's father's family (Purkis) came from Portsmouth, as did the Quintrells on my grandmother's side.

S
                      Elizabeth
                      Research Interests:

Comment

Working...
                      X