Anyone with J Lyons & Co connections?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone with J Lyons & Co connections?

I've just come across this excellent site with lots of info (and a number of images) about the history of the firm - and obituary info...

J. Lyons & Co.
    especially
    J. Lyons & Co. Pensioner section

There are detailed obits for many of the directors - so lots of SALMONs, GLUCKSTEINs and (of course!) a couple of LYONSes (or, possibly, only one, as the other looks as if she never had the surname LYONS).

I feel very pleased, becaue I have (at last!) discovered the join to my niece's tree - so it wasn't just wishful thinking. :D

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Lyons bought out my relatives company - WH and FJ Horniman and Co :(

Comment

Wasn't Nigella Lawson something to do with the Lyons on WDYTYA.

All those surnames ring a bell

Lin
      Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

My husband & fil are both J Lyons, as is his mother & his grandfather, unfortunately, I don't think there is a connection :( as their family came from Ireland via Wales
        Lynn

Comment

I distinctly remember poking about in the Lyons for someone - on here?

I worked for the Joe Lyons empire many years ago and met some of the family - I remember Lady Salmon I think, and Joseph Gluckstein. They were lovely people with a very nice way about them.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
            I distinctly remember poking about in the Lyons for someone - on here?

I worked for the Joe Lyons empire many years ago and met some of the family - I remember Lady Salmon I think, and Joseph Gluckstein. They were lovely people with a very nice way about them.

OC
            You may have been trying to help me with my niece's tree?

The obits on the website suggest that they were an extraordinarily conscientious family in the way the ran their business(es) and contributed to the wider community.

Christine

In this context, researching: FRIEDMAN/FREEMAN; MARKS; COHEN; JACOBS; JONES; SIEGELMAN
            Last edited by Christine in Herts; 25-06-08, 21:10.
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Lin Fisher View Post
              Wasn't Nigella Lawson something to do with the Lyons on WDYTYA.

All those surnames ring a bell

Lin
              Yes - Felix Addison SALMON: Director J. Lyons & Co, b 16 Jul 1908, was Nigella's grandfather.

Christine

In this context, researching: FRIEDMAN/FREEMAN; MARKS; COHEN; JACOBS; JONES; SIEGELMAN

Comment

Yes, they were exacting task masters but incredibly kind people. I remember an ancient old chap who was the lift attendant in the Strand Palace Hotel for ever.

He developed lung cancer and the Lyons arranged for him to be admitted to their own private rooms in the hospital where he stayed until he died.

They also did an enormous amount of charity work, both up front and behind the scenes.

OC

Comment

Working...
                X