Brickwall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brickwall

I would appreciate any help or suggestions where I can do further research to jump my longstanding brickwall.
    I can trace my family tree directly to my 4x grandfather Cornelius Durham. I cant find any siblings, though there are clues that there must be some.
    What I do know
    Cornelius Durham was born ca 1770 and died intestate in London in June 181He married Anne Morris in St. Brides Church, Fleet Street on 15 July 1800. The wedding was witnessed by W. Finch, George Basset and Mary Ann Farr. Neither the Bride's or Groom's parents are listed in the Marriage Certificate.
    They had three children, John Farr, Edmund and Cornelius Beavis, who was the only one to continue the line. John Farr not marrying and Edmund dieing in infancy. Anne obtained administration of her husbands estate in the London Consistory Court on 1 September 1817. Family anecdotes refer to his father as Durham of Devils Bridge but I have been ubable to find any reference to a suitable Durham in either Aberystwyth or Kirby Lonsddale

Cornelius Bevis who was born on 7 June 1809 and was baptised in St. Clement Danes Church in Westminster, on 26 December. He became one of the better known miniature portrait painters in the 19th century. He married Mary Cuisset on 30 August 1836 in St. Andrews Church, Holborn. They had four children, Cornelius John, Edmund Cuisset, Francis Hine and George William
    Francis Hine was the only one to continue the line
    Possible clues to further research
    1) A thomas Durham married Mary Farr in St. Mary Aldermary in London on 30 October 1704
    2) IGA shows a Cornelius Durham married Rachell and they had children Frances baptised in St. Andrews Holborn on 31 May 1970 who died in infancy and Mary baptised in St. Annes Soho Westminster on 2 January 1717.
    and a Christo Durham married Rachell and had a child Cornelius in St Andrews Chuech, Holborn on 16 December 1711
    3) There is reference to a Cornelius Durham, elected as an overseer in the Isleworth Paris, Middlesex and in June 1770, he was named as an Overseer with a William Renell on land and houses. But there appear to be no records of him after that. He could be the father of Durham of Devils Bridge
    4) Census
    The 1841 Anne Durham is shown as a Lodging Housekeeper at 17 Arundel Street. Among the residents are Sophia Beck and her children and lists her as independent and John Durham, a clerk.
    Family annecdotes refer to an unknown Durham who married John Beck. In Pallots marriage index a Sophia Durham marries John Beck in old Church St. Pancras on 14 January 1824. Cornelius Beavis uses this address at the Royal Academy Art exhibitions between 1827 and 1836
    The 1861 and 1871 census shows Cornelius Beavis staying with Martha Phiillips and he is listed as a cousin in the 1871 census. In the 1861 census, he has his wife and youngest son with him while the 1871 census lists Elizabeth Biddlescomb also staying with her. She is listed as a sister
    The 1871 census also shows George William Durham (CB's youngest son) staying with George R. Phillips (Martha's eldest son.

Originally posted by cordur View Post
    2) IGA shows a Cornelius Durham married Rachell and they had children Frances baptised in St. Andrews Holborn on 31 May 1970 who died in infancy and Mary baptised in St. Annes Soho Westminster on 2 January 1717.
    and a Christo Durham married Rachell and had a child Cornelius in St Andrews Chuech, Holborn on 16 December 1711
    Rachell must have been an amazing woman! Was Frances bp 1709?
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

The vicar of St.Andrew must have either had a shock or been very understanding!!!

Comment

Cordur - Join Lost Cousins. You can either pay a cheap sub which allows you to contact others or be a free member and hope someone contacts you
        Last edited by BC; 25-06-08, 11:15. Reason: member's name incorrect - my failing eyesight

Comment

There is a brilliant book entitled "Lists of Londoners" which suggests all sorts of sources. It would be worth a browse. you need as many references as you can find to follow up the clues. The Origins site has various London databases that would be worth a browse.
          Phoenix - with charred feathers
          Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Okay, just to clarify the IGI entries:

I can't see a marriage on the IGI between Cornelius Durham and Rachel.

Mary Durham born 2 Jan 1717 christened 2 Jan 1717 St Anne Soho, Westminster, parents Cornelius and Rachell.

Frances Durham christened 28 May 1704 St Andrew Holborn, died 31 May 1705, parents Cornelius and Rachell.

Both are "extracted" entries.

Cornelius Durham christened 16 Dec 1711 St Andrew Holborn, parents Christo. and Rachell. Also an "extracted" record.

If you can get a look at the actual parish register entries for these then it might turn out that the father's name has been mistranscribed for either the two girls or, more likely, the boy, as it does look likely that they all belong to the same parents.

And to further confuse things, there is a Rebecca Durham christened 10 Jul 1709 St Andrew Holborn, parents Cornelius and Rebecca. Again, if you can get a look at the actual parish register entry maybe you will find it has been mistranscribed.

But of course it may turn out that they have been transcribed correctly, in which case it could be that there are mistakes in the actual register. I can't see a likely marriage under the name Christopher either.

I do think they are all likely to be children of the same couple.
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Do you have details of Cornelius's burial, and does it state his age on there to give a good idea of when he was born?

There is a will on TNA Documents Online which could possibly be connected:

Will of John Durham, Druggist of Saint Andrew Holborn , Middlesex 02 June 1760 PROB 11/856

I don't think you said what Cornelius's occupation was, so I don't know how likely this is to be a relative of his. I'm just thinking if he was older than you thought then this could possibly be his father? Or it could be his grandfather or an uncle or some such. Might be worth getting it just on the offchance?
              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

have you put your name down on here wdwtya on the research thread second down,who knows you may be the chosen one,but make sure you have plenty paper and pens because they are quick,brenda xxx

Comment

Working...
                X