Alexandra Home Bury St Edmunds ?? any ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alexandra Home Bury St Edmunds ?? any ideas

I am not having much luck googling this is where I was born am wondering why ????
    I do know my mother was supposed to be very ill through each pregnancy and had to go inot hospital for some time before each birth .

Val

It was probably a wartime maternity home.

OC

Comment

I wonder if they have any old records at the council for that area ??? thanks OC

Comment

Does it have an address or any other info ?

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Val

What detail is on your birth cert?

Who is named as your father?

I think the same as OC, just a nursing home.

Queen Alexandras are army medical nursing. I think.

Comment

I've looked at the TNA hospitals database, and it isn't listed.

However, they do have a listing for the West Suffolk hospital, which was in Hospital Road, Bury St Edmunds:

The National Archives | Search the archives | Hospital Records| Details

The hospital's records are held by the Suffolk Record Office. These are their contact details; I think your best bet would be to e-mail them to ask for information:

The National Archives | Search the archives | ARCHON Directory | Repository Details

Comment

thanks everyone I shall email them tonight thanks Mary

Comment

It may not be the same hospital, but as luck would have it, the Records Office is in Bury St Edmonds, so they should know something about Alexandra Home/House even if it isn't the same place.

Comment

Just thiking about this - two of my children were born in the "Princess Alexandra" maternity home - which is actually a separate wing on the main hospital complex.

So it may have been no more than a maternity wing of the main hospital. During the war, they often commandeered private houses for maternity cases to free up "proper" hospital beds for war casualties.

This was pre National Health of course and MAY have been a maternity hospital for the wives of serving men.

OC

Comment

thanks for your replies I am going to ring them tomorrow

Comment

Working...
                    X