Using accent marks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using accent marks

I'm using FTM 16 and would like to add an umlaut in one of my names. I haven't been able to figure out how to do that. Can anyone help?

Can you change the typeface or add special inserts?

Comment

Hold down alt and the code for the umlaut.

eg alt + 0252 will give this - ü

There are some codes here

How to type German Umlauts

you must put in the leading 0, and you must use the numeric keypad, otherwise it won't work.
      Last edited by WendyPusey; 24-06-08, 18:50.
      Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Beware that if you make a gedcom out of a tree with special characters in it and then upload the gedcom to GR, the names with special characters get corrupted!

Comment

Thanks....I definitely didn't know that and will keep it in mind.

Comment

Thanks Wendy, I'll try this.

Comment

No, I can't. That's the problem. I haven't been able to do anything with fonts but will try Wendy's suggestion.

Comment

If you need any other accents,they are listed on this FTM help page
                Answer
                Elaine

Comment

Accents do tend to get corrupted by a lot of programs. The alternative (German) way of spelling a name with an umlaut is to add an "e" after the vowel, e.g. Düsseldorf becomes Duesseldorf.

Comment

This is right, this change of a name helps nothing only at the search on the Internet!
                    Addition to this: Special signs are not used only in the German. Unfortunately, these signs are a problem in France and in Sweden Denmark and Norway for the other countries. GEDCOM or Google? There are a couple of genealogical programmes, this one accepting these signs re-saying less.
                    Wolf

Comment

Working...
                    X