help on the osler family from southery norfolk please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help on the osler family from southery norfolk please

i beleive my oslers and vannessa,s osler are the same;),can anyone help us to connect them please.my nannie was a dunnett,here mother was i beleive hanna elizabeth osler born 1840 southery norfolkdied 1902 .her mother was martha born 1804 herrinfleet norfolk,married a george george osler 1824 southery norfolk.........children were
    maria osler born 1836,hannah my g grandmother 1840,louisa born 1847 all southery.louisa emergrated to utah salt lake city.

brenda xxx

Brenda, I think the best way to start would be if you and Vanessa can each go through your collections of certificates to see what you can prove that way, and then see what still needs to be filled in.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Who are Vanessa's Oslers?
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

A very difficult thing to do if you cannot see the two trees in front of you!

So Hannah Elizabeth Osler born 1840 Southery was your grandmother.
        When and where does the name Osler come into Vanessa's tree?
        Elaine

Comment

kite we have i have emailed her a few details i have i beleive we have a connection somewhere
          our oslers are on the gedcom.
          brenda xxx

Comment

she has a george osler
            i have a george osler married to a martha.im getting name blind lol brenda xxx

Comment

I can't get any results for Osler on the gedcom!

Who is the earliest Osler in your tree and who is the earliest in Vanessa's

Comment

mine is hannah elizabeth osler 1839 my grandmas,s mum this one hannah married a dunnett

vannessa,s is noah 1840

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                  I can't get any results for Osler on the gedcom!
                  There's quite a few there Nell. You probably put Osler in the wrong box!
                  Elaine

Comment

thankyou elaine all vannessas and mine come from the same area thats why i beleive we have a connection but i cant see it i thought other eyes might see what were missing,i will keep trying,i keep getting drawn to vannessa oslers for some reason brenda xxx

Comment

am i allowed to put the census i have on here or is it not allowed ?brenda xxx

Comment

Elaine

*hangs head in shame*

Comment

If you look on the 1841 census Noah is the son of Noah and Susan Ostler, and Hannah is the daughter of George & Martha Ostler.

Lots of Ostler baptisms on IGI.
                          Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Vanessa has a George Osler born 1730 who appears to be her oldest male Osler.

You have a Geo Osler born 1799 in Norfolk, who is about the right age to be Vanessa's George's grandson.

Your chap appears to be in 1851, where he says he was born in Southery.

But looking on the IGI there are zillions of George Oslers going right back to the 1600s, so while it is almost definite that you and Vanessa have a common Osler ancestor, it could be way, way, way back and you'd need to check the parish registers to confirm exactly how far back!!!

Comment

ours is spelt osler although i have something were it was speltin france as oiseleur where i beleive the oslers came from,this one from france was guillaume"l oiseleur"de carteret.this is the son. godefroy de carteret seig carteretthe first one was a bird catcher for the duke of normandy,so i believe this is the same oslers,my dad had godfrey in his name and again i beleive for the connection.brenda xx

Comment

there are 32 George Oslers on the IGI bapt in Southery

but none of them appear to be extracted records. Southery is not in Hugh Wallis batch numbers and its not on FreeReg either, so you may have to contemplate a trip to Norwich to consult the parish registers.

Comment

thankyou nell.a great task indeed,i have 1841,1851 with my oslers onbut on 1851 there is 2 families of oslers mine and another there is william osler as head mary wife william son,benjamin son,thomas son,so i wonder if theses were 2 brothers living in the same road.brenda xxx

Comment

Hello..My oldest male Osler was George born 1680 and the oldest female was Ann born 1726.
                                    As you say Nell it looks like the connection goes way way back.
                                    Will continue searching and hopefully will get a hit or have to travel to Norfolk to do a hunt.
                                    This as been a bug bear to me too. The Oslers are on Hubbys side and the last Osler was Elizabeth Osler marrying Johnathan Dobbs around 1856/57 in Norfolk.
                                    I have sent my Osler Tree to Bren and i have hers so i will see what i can find.
                                    Last edited by vanessa tallon; 24-06-08, 18:08.
                                    Vanessa Tallon passed away September 2011

Comment

on the 1851 census this second family the adults i cant make there ages out and vannessa has a william and mary.brenda xxx

Comment

Originally posted by brenmac View Post
                                        ours is spelt osler although i have something were it was speltin france as oiseleur where i beleive the oslers came from,this one from france was guillaume"l oiseleur"de carteret.this is the son. godefroy de carteret seig carteretthe first one was a bird catcher for the duke of normandy,so i believe this is the same oslers,my dad had godfrey in his name and again i beleive for the connection.brenda xx

I don't want to spoil your history, Bren, but if you want to explore the origins of the surname in your particular line, I would think the best thing to do would be to get a look at the actual parish registers for Southery and follow your ancestors back through it, looking at baptisms, marriages and burials, and see which spellings are used for the name. I have to say that if Vanessa's line goes back as far as the seventeenth century and some of hers are spelt Ostler, and yours come from the same village, then it seems most likely to me that yours started off as Ostlers too but the spelling was changed somewhere along the way. (Surname spelling used to vary a lot in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries.) In which case the first person to have the surname would most likely have been someone who looked after horses (an ostler). But if you have parish register entries, wills etc which prove the connection to the French family then feel free to disregard what I said!!

Norfolk Record Office does sell microfiche copies of many parish registers, but it doesn't look as though Southery is one of those, unfortunately.
                                        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                                        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Working...
                                        X