Clear All

• Law of Denunciation ?

Trawling through census images for an expensive area of Sussex, there was

'A Lady protected by the Law of Denunciation'
    (that's what it looks like)

here's the link .... she's at no 11

- Ancestry.co.uk

anyone know what it means ?

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

It certainly looks like law of denunciation, but the only thing that suggests to me is that the enumerator didn't want to put down what he thought her occupation was as it might be libellous? But given her age and the number of servants, that can't be right... can it?
    *goes off to Google*
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Oh, I see they aren't necessarily her servants as she is a visitor rather than head of household. Anyway, I still can't find anything that directly explains it, but I wonder if it was some kind of whistleblower / witness protection thing? Except I don't think they had anything like that then, plus you would think she would have given a false name like Ann Smith or something, wouldn't you?
      Maybe I should stop making up wild theories and wait for somebody who knows the answer!
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks Kite
        It' a bit confusing anyway ... there's no Head of household at no 11 unless he's the one at no 10 .... listed after the servants !

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Just a though was she divorced?
          The enumerator could be thinking of the other meaning i.e. termination.
          Cheers
          Guy
          Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Very strange. I don't think there is such as thing as the "law of denunciation".

And if the enumerator was worried about libel, he could just have put down "living on own means".

Comment

Originally posted by Guy View Post
              Just a though was she divorced?
              The enumerator could be thinking of the other meaning i.e. termination.
              Cheers
              Guy

It says she's a Visitor at Bton ... transcribed as Blon
              (presumably Brighton)

Widow aged 63 born in Calcutta, India

Comment

Interestingly (??) in 1881 she is the head of house (annuitant) and living with her are two servants, a man and wife, but in the occupation column he is a policeman and she is a policeman's wife!

RG11 Piece 0099 Folio 101 Page 14

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                  Interestingly (??) in 1881 she is the head of house (annuitant) and living with her are two servants, a man and wife, but in the occupation column he is a policeman and she is a policeman's wife!

RG11 Piece 0099 Folio 101 Page 14

and she's a 'Windower' !!!!! :D ...

so is that Police protection as Kate was thinking (1891) ?

Comment

this looks like her in 1871 with husband Charles
                    Can't quite decipher what he's Landowner of

Oh blimey ..... he's 82 !

- Ancestry.co.uk

Last edited by Rachel Scand; 24-06-08, 17:39.

Comment

In 1901 she is transcribed as Mary R McGarel :(

Comment

Oh is the name McGarel?

Death reg
                        Mary R McGarel
                        Year of Registration: 1913 Q2
                        Age 85
                        District: Kensington
                        Volume: 1a
                        Page: 109

Comment

looks like it is in 1871

Comment

lol, sorry I was looking for the wrong surname!

CHARLES MCGAREL
                            Marriages:
                            Spouse: MARY ROSINA HOGG
                            Marriage: 17 APR 1856 All Souls, Saint Marylebone

Comment

Deaths Dec 1876
                              McGarel Charles 88 Brighton 2b 147

This is really annoying.....what was she up to?

Comment

Googling tells me a story :

Lady Mary Murray, who was buried at Glasnevin Cemetery on March 5th, 1888, represented a not unimportant stock. "You ask me about my mother's people," writes Mrs. Fox, of Kilcoursey; "Her maiden name was Allen, but her parents died when she was very young. Her mother's brother was the late Charles McGarel, of Belgrave Square, London, and Magheramourne, Co. Antrim, from which place Sir James McGarel Hogg (Mr. McGarel's wife's brother, to whom he left the place and an enormous fortune [£75,000 a year. The burial service of the Protestant Church was, of course, recited at her grave. Lady Mary, though Mrs. McGarel's nearest relation, was not remembered in her will.]), took the title of Lord Magheramourne. My mother (his sister's child) and I were his only blood relations at the time of his death; but in this case blood was not thicker than water."

Comment

and this:

James McGarel-Hogg, 1st Baron Magheramorne - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

The law of denunciation appears to have something to do with the Spanish Inquisition, so not that.

A wider interpretation says that, if you admit to something, or being someone, which then puts you in danger of your life, you can operate the law of denunciation.

Yet another(!) interpretation was, if you were accused of attempting to overthrow democracy, you could claim law of denunciation, so same as before.

Hmmmm.....Irish surname....wealthy....I would think an early form of witness protection certainly, perhaps in exchange for information about Irish rebels?

Seems a bit of a faff though - why not just say my name is Mary Smith? No one was going to see it other than the enumerator, and I would have thought the very unusual nature of this description would make the enumerator and copying clerks MORE aware of her, not less.

I know very little Irish history but the name McGarrel seems familiar. Or maybe it doesn't.

OC

Comment

If her husband had enough money for her brother to inherit enough for an income of £75,000 a year (surely that can't be right??!) then what was she (Mary Rosina, the widow) living off? She outlived her brother by many years.....

Maybe she did a runner with part of her brother's inheritance??!

Comment

Did Viscount Hailsham (Quintin McGarel Hogg) write an autobiography ?

She might appear in that and all will be revealed

meanwhile .... how do I find out who gt gt grandad was working for in 1891 and why he was in Sussex ? :D

I went through ED 4 looking for the Belhaven's (surname should be Hamilton) but didn't see anything I recognised

Comment

Working...
                                        X