ANCESTRY.co.uk - A WORD OF WARNING..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ANCESTRY.co.uk - A WORD OF WARNING..

Renewed my subscription in mid-May after demanding, and getting, a 10% discount. Have not accessed the site for a couple of weeks as too busy BUT on accessing this evening I find I am ' locked out ' and shown as a Registered Guest, despite my name being shown correctly at the top of the Home Page where log-in appears. Any attempt to access Census or other pages is refused but they do say they are giving me a chance to take a 2-week free trial !!! Site worked perfectly normally before ( after renewing ) so it appears they have a problem again. They only work 9-7 Monday to Friday and 9-5 Saturday and no Sundays now so cannot contact them until tomorrow. However, they will have a few questions to answer and, if I'm no longer satisfied with them, then a refund will be demanded. They also said the rumour of having been sold is not true - just a new system put into operation.

Exactly the same thing happened to me when I renewed in October. I too didn't use the site for a few weeks and when I went on I was a registered guest.

I rang them up and spoke to a really helpful man, what had happened when I renewed is that they had changed my password which I didn't realise at the time. Check your emails from them when you renewed (if you still have them) and see if your password has changed.

I rang them at about 7.30pm UK winter time.

Sandra

Comment

Yes if you ring them its much better than mailing, they sort it there and then.

Comment

Sandra, it's better than that. Have just battled with my credit card web account and it hasn't gone through !!! Assumed it had missed the account date and would appear on the one due any minute but it won't ! Am just about to telephone them to listen to the pathetic excuses/apologies we get these days with the incompetent ' service ' departments.

Got through, started conversation then promptly got disconnected. Rang again, waited over 5 minutes for an ' advisor ' who claimed they sent me an email ( I didn't get it !) advising that Barclaycard refused payment !!! They don't tell them why so I only have the date. I'm already in dispute with Barclaycard this morning over being unable to get into my account - they changed the spelling of my name apparently, and for no reason, so it locked me out several weeks ago since when I have been doing battle with " Customer Services " to find out why. I then spent 12minutes sorting it out on an 0844 number at about 8 or 9p per minute. Suspect this Ancestry problem has something to do with the change Barclaycard made. Asked why I wasn't told and she said they leave it for about 2 weeks before cutting off so we have free use for a while. Advising a problem would be more sensible.

Ancestry also claim that they do not make mistakes, it's US who cause our own problems!!!

I'm having a terrible day - is it Friday 13th ?

Comment

That's terrible.

I've rang them on a couple of occasions, and always found them very helpful.

I have just looked at their contact numbers, and seen it's an 0800 number. When I rang them last (must have been about 8 months ago) I rang America, I wasn't on the phone for long, and to be honest the call charge was minimal. I can't remember what it was now, but I know it was less than £1. and everything was sorted there and then.

Good luck with it all and I hope you get sorted soon, at least you are getting 2 weeks free.

Sandra

Comment

Sandra, thanks for the commiseration but ' getting two weeks free ' is, unfortunately, - got two weeks free ! I only found out about this after the two weeks when I suddenly couldn't get any info up on screen and noticed I had become a ' Registered Guest ' not a subscriber.

It will be interesting to see what happens when Barclaycard answers my complaint and if I contact Ancestry for a renewal. No discount - no renewal !

Comment

1 of the numbers you can ring is a 24hr number - i rang them up at gone 9pm the other week as i was getting error messages every time i viewed a page. they got me to delete all my cookies and temp files and it works ok.
              **no point asking the living for help as the dead are more helpful!!!**

https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspot.com/

Comment

Can you put that 24-hour number up for us, please ? Think most of us just have the 0800 number that finishes at 7.00pm or whatever. It could be useful to those who are REAL subscribers - not Registered GUESTS as I have become !

Comment

Working...
                X