Digitisation - LMA & Guildhall Library records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digitisation - LMA & Guildhall Library records

Just spotted this. Don't know if anyone else has already flagged it up. It certainly looks interesting. I've put part of the page-info below...

Digitisation Programme

The collections at LMA and Guildhall Library have received designation from the Museums, Libraries and Archives Council as being of national and international significance as the History of London Collection. The collections tell the story of London and Londoners from 1067 to 2006 and comprises material filling some 101km of shelving over the two sites. Amongst these are substantial and highly significant collections of archives and related material which are key sources for genealogists across the world. For example:

* Over 10,000 parish registers of baptisms, marriages and burials dating from the 1530s to the twentieth century for over 1000 Church of England parishes in Greater London
    * Approximately 80,000 wills from Church of England dioceses dating from the medieval period
    * Over 9,000 records (which relate directly to named individuals) from Boards of Guardians from the nineteenth to early twentieth centuries
    * Approximately 7,000 poll books and electoral registers for Greater London in the modern period (one of the most complete set in existence)
    * Approximately 2,000 admission and discharge registers for London schools in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries

These collections, and other key genealogical sources, are currently available on site at LMA and Guildhall Library. The Libraries, Archives and Guildhall Art Gallery Department now wishes to make them available online via a chargeable web based service which is setup, hosted and maintained by an external service provider with demonstrable experience in this field. A royalty will be paid back to the City for reinvestment in the care and preservation of the collections. This new service would sit alongside existing on-site services which the City will continue to provide.

The City of London is currently working on a digitisation tender with those companies who have expressed an interest in this project.
    Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Hallo Christine

I read about this some while ago. Not sure when it will get going! Should be a boon when looking for London ancestors.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Presumably it will mean that London will have something like Medway CityArk for the registers?

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I dread to think how long will take them to digitise all that information! And I bet that the parishes I'm most interested in will be the last ones that they do...:D
        Sue

Comment

I went to a discussion meeting on this about nine months ago. They planned to start with printed sources and reckoned that the whole process would take about five years.

One of the plus points is that there will be a lot of refilming, so that the images will hopefully be considerably better than some are now. They also plan on having their catalogue on their own website and not on A2A.

At the meeting it all sounded wonderful, and when it's done it will be. I think they are thinking Ancestry rather than CityArk ie indexed (but better indexes!) and a subscription or ppv service.
          Phoenix - with charred feathers
          Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

I hope they do Westminster parishes, as they are the ones I need to look at.
            Lynn

Comment

As long as the price isn't like most other things London based ridiculously inflated...then this sounds just wonderful, hope it comes to fruition.

Comment

Just wondering what will be first, the London digitisation project, the bmd indexes project or the 1911 census?
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I wonder what the reality of "five years" is?

*consideres reincarnation, or cryogenics*

Sounds fabulous though!!

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                    Just wondering what will be first, the London digitisation project, the bmd indexes project or the 1911 census?
                    Or the next part of the Irish census? *drums fingers*

Comment

Five years.....Oh well not tooooo long to wait then :D

But seriously I do hope it will come to fruition as it will be an absolute boon for those of us who have limited opportunity to visit in person.

And pay to view will no doubt be a cheaper option than paying for their own research/copying facilities.
                      Avatar....My darling mum, Irene June Robinson nee Pearson 1931-2019.

'Take nothing on its looks, take everything on evidence. There is no better rule' Charles Dickens, Great Expectations.

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                        Or the next part of the Irish census? *drums fingers*
                        Belfast Please......... Nan reckons her parents should be there in 1911....

Comment

Working...
                        X