Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't backup FTM on CD or Floppy disk! Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't backup FTM on CD or Floppy disk! Help!

I'm having problems with FTM internet backup, so I was told by the helpline to uninstall and reinstall, then re-register it. But I don't want to try this until I've backed up all my hard work.:o

I've never been able to successfully backup onto floppy or CD, but I'm giving it another try. I'm getting 'can't do that' messages which I need an interpretor for! Any computer buffs logged in who can translate comp-speak into basic English??

Bee.
    Bee~~~fuddled.

Searching for BANKS, MILLER, MOULTON from Lancs and Cheshire; COX from Staffordshire and Birmingham;
    COX, HALL, LAMBDEN, WYNN, from Hants and Berks; SYMES (my mystery g'father!) from anywhere near Bournemouth.

What version of FTM are you using.
    What sort of CD are you trying to back up on to - CDR or CDRW
    Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine,
      Glad you're here to hold my hand again!

It's FTM 2006, and the CD says 'CD-RW' - I bought them specifically for this, but I've tried on two of them.

Bee
      Bee~~~fuddled.

Searching for BANKS, MILLER, MOULTON from Lancs and Cheshire; COX from Staffordshire and Birmingham;
      COX, HALL, LAMBDEN, WYNN, from Hants and Berks; SYMES (my mystery g'father!) from anywhere near Bournemouth.

Comment

I can never remember which ones sometimes don't like FTM backups - have just looked it up on the FTM help line ... and it is CD-RWs that sometimes give problems! :(

Never mind, let us see if you can back it up on to your desktop.
        Go to FILE,
        select BACKUP
        select CUSTOM DIRECTORY - and click the box that says CHANGE

At the top next to the words Look In - you should see a drop down listing - can you select DESKTOP

Then click OK and give it a file name - probably best something different from your normal file name so you know exactly what it is - then click OK.

Check whether the file is on your desktop.

If you want to you could then copy/burn the file to your CD-RW in the normal way that you normally do - but if you can't do this then at least you have the back up on the desktop.
        Elaine

Comment

OK, yes! The first bit worked - I've now got it saved on my desktop.

I'll look up my daughter's handy 'how to ...' list of burning to CD, so I can be sure I've got it.

Will I be able to burn onto the same disk when I've added more to my tree? Will it save all the 'notes' on individuals? And photos - if I had any?

Bee.
          Bee~~~fuddled.

Comment

A back up of a FTM file will contain everything that you have on the original file which would include notes, photos etc.

You should be able to back up on to the same disc in the future if you are using CD-RW discs.
            Elaine

Comment

Well, it's not going to do it for me! I've opened the Sonic programme, and followed the instuctions, but my computer doesn't seem to like these discs - I've had a message saying 'One or more of your devices are in use by Drive Letter Access. .... Cannot be used for recording until you eject the discs.'

So I've tried a new disc - the computer, or the sonic programme, takes ages to respond, and now I'm getting 'please insert an appendable data disc, and try again.'

Is it likely to be a 'bad batch' of discs? Or am I doing something wrong?

Would it be safe to just trust the desktop backup, while I follow the FTM helplines instuctions about uninstalling my FTM programme and reinstalling? Or am I going to risk loosing everything??

Bee.
              Bee~~~fuddled.

Comment

When you uninstall and reinstall your FTM it should not affect your original file anyway, so there shouldn't be a problem when you restart the program.

In addition your desktop backup will be safe and will not be affected by the uninstallation of the program.
                Elaine

Comment

If you are really worried then attach it to an email and send it to yourself!

(although this really isn't necessary!!)
                  Elaine

Comment

Ok, thanks for your help - and the reassurance!

I'm sure I'll be needing more help at some time, but for now thanks for being there again.

Bee
                    Bee~~~fuddled.

Comment

When I get weird messages, I just press the cd open shelf, then bung it back in, 9 times out of 10 that works. Try doing it through FTM again and put the cd back in after you tick the box that you want to back up to cd.

Comment

I did try taking the disc out and putting it in again, but it still didn't respond. I suppose I could try going through FTM again, but I'm just brassed off with it! :( This is the reason I was so keen to get the new 2006 version, and get the internet backup! And that won't work! Grrrrr! :(:(

But thanks for the suggestions.

Bee.
                        Bee~~~fuddled.

Comment

And you have definitely registered your program - sorry just trying to think why you wouldnt have the internet back up.

Comment

Yes, I followed whatever it said I had to do to register it. And I got my free backup.

But when that ran out I paid for a year's backup - the money's gone out of my account, but the backup says 'service expired', so I rang the ancestry helpline, who tried to work out why it wouldn't recognise me - that when he suggested I uninstall FTM, then reinstall and re-register it, to see if that would work.

But I didn't want to risk losing everything :o, so I wanted to back it up .... but it won't back up ..... which is why I wanted the 2006 with backup ....!!

Do you remember a song about 'There's a hole in my bucket .....'? Well, just call me 'Liza'!!

Bee.
                            Bee~~~fuddled.

Comment

I wonder if it is a temporary problem with the internet backup facility rather than a problem with your registration. I see Val said on another thread that her back up took two hours to complete. I'll try mine later (it's on another computer) and let you know.

The other thing to check, have you registered FTM using the same details you use on your Ancestry log in. They are linked and should be the same.
                              Elaine

Comment

If anyone is wanting to do internet back up it is working at mo , I have just done mine took about 3/4 hour for 2500 names though ;;;
                                borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Just done mine - 1712 names - took just under 7 minutes.
                                  Elaine

Comment

If you are using XP then there is no need for the "Sonic" program to burn a CD.

XP has it's own CD burning software.

Once you have saved the back up file to your Desktop right click on the icon, select Send To from the list, in the next list that appears select your CD Drive and then follow the instructions.

When you click on the baloon that appears it will take you to a new window, in the list at the top left you will see an entry, "Burn these files to CD", click this and all should go to plan.
                                    Best Wishes
                                    Ron
                                    www.genealogyprinters.com

Comment

Hi Ron & Carol,

Thought I'd give your method a try.

When I select 'send to' there isn't a 'CD Drive' option - the closest to it is something called 'Record Now!', which is a Sonic Recorder - or so it tells me when I open it.

Also, it shows me:-
                                      An icon with blue lines, sort of like a family tree, with a disc at the left, and it tells me it's the file I worked on yesterday of 1MB type FTW Fa...
                                      And another icon with red lines, a disc at the left like the previous one, and a little camera or something on the bottom right, which is the file from yesterday of 462 KB type Co....

Those are the ones that I couldn't burn!

Help?

Bee.
                                      Bee~~~fuddled.

Comment

Im trying my internet back up now, just to see if it works. Its copied it ok and should hopefully now be transferring .................... Its slow though.

If there isnt a CD Drive - is there anything that has Drive after it.

Comment

Working...
                                        X