British Convict Transportation Register 1787 - 1868

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Convict Transportation Register 1787 - 1868

The State Library of Queensland has released the British Convict Transportation Register free online. The register includes the names of about 123,000 convicts of the approximately 160,000 who were transported to Oz from 1787 to 1868.

Details of convicts are limited to the Name, Place of Trial and Sentence and the date the convict was transported.

Go to the home page : http://www.slq.qld.gov.au

and click on the link to the Convict Register on right.
    Last edited by Sunny Kate; 23-06-08, 03:49.

Thanks for posting this Kate, I have just been having a browse :D

Comment

Thanks, Kate - have added it to the Wiki ( Emigration and Immigration - Family Tree Forum)
      Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

So That's where James Flowerdew went! Thanks, Kate!
        Phoenix - with charred feathers
        Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Oooooo that's interesting .... thank you Kate .... have book marked it

They must have stopped off there before going on to Van Diemen's Land ... one of my 'probable' ancestors was sent there

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

I think they must still have more to add as my 5x great grandmother is missing from the first fleet, but she's not on Ancestry yet either.

Comment

Thank you for the link.

I knew John Willsher had been transported for sheep stealing but didn't have the exact details of when or where...Now I do
              Avatar....My darling mum, Irene June Robinson nee Pearson 1931-2019.

'Take nothing on its looks, take everything on evidence. There is no better rule' Charles Dickens, Great Expectations.

Comment

These records seem to at least partly duplicate the ones on Ancestry, but at least they're a bit easier to read, and free for those who don't have an Anecstry sub.

Comment

Thanks for a useful-looking link!

It's noticeable that they don't necessarily relate just to those with a QLD destination - the ones I've found were sent to NSW and TAS (aka Van Diemen's Land).

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I was looking up the less-usual surnames in our trees when I found one who had been convicted at the Central Criminal Courts (i.e. Old Bailey) so I had a look here:
                    Old Bailey Online - The Proceedings of the Old Bailey, 1674-1913 - Central Criminal Court
                    and found that he'd got 10 years transportation for stealing a horse worth £1.

There was a time-lag of a couple of years.

He wasn't one of mine, so I haven't added anything ot the trees, but it was interesting.

Christine
                    PS - I think that "London Gaol" may be the same place. I've found a couple of possible matches.
                    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 23-06-08, 17:02.
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I've found a relative transported for 7 years, no other info except he was sentenced at Middlesex Sessions in 1826. Does anyone know if the records of these survive or will whatever he did to occasion such punishment have to remain a mystery?

Comment

Richard......I'll have a look if you put his name up.

Or google on google.com.au and check.

There are so many convict sites, you never know.

I found my first fleeter on a quiz site last night. She's still not on the State Library site, but has finally popped up on Ancestry, mistranscribed!!!!

Comment

Thanks Harrysmum

This is the details from the Queensland site:

Title: Bellenger, James

Description: James Bellenger, one of 148 convicts transported on the England, 28 April 1826

Sentence Details: Convicted at Middlesex Gaol Delivery for a term of 7 years.

Vessel: England (Ship)

Date of Departure: 28 April 1826

Comment

ooh..took your advice re Australia Google and found this:

The following is a list of persons mentioned in Sydney newspaper articles 1829.The list was created by the Government, and is those men and women who were convicts and who had absconded:

Bellenger, James age: 27y 9 months

Seems he did a runner!

Comment

Just about to post that!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't find anything else though. I've taken a note and will keep an eye open.

Comment

Thanks Harrysmum, I appreciate that. It would be nice if I could find out what he did, the first question I suppose anyone asks with a convict!...his cousin (my 5xgreat grandad) was up at the old bailey a few years before, allegedly for stealing a cow in Bethnal Green, so I imagine it was probably something along those lines...though 5xg great grandad was in that instance found totally innocent I hasten to add!

Comment

Hi Richard,

We found out about our convict's crime (or rather a kind person who had access did) in the Times Digital Archive. It was in the reports from the Assizes. In our case it was the Northern Circuit in Leeds. I then contacted Leeds library and got local newspaper reports which gave much more detail,
                                  Hope you are able to do the same for your chap.
                                  Cath.

Comment

Working...
                                  X