Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone find Edward Sparshott, please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone find Edward Sparshott, please?

Hi!

Would anybody be able to help find Edward Sparshott after 1841? I have found him on the 1841 census as Edward Spanhott, aged 40, in Cheshire. With him is wife Elizabeth, and 3 children, Sarah, Mary and Henry.
    I have found a death for Elizabeth in 1842, on Cheshire BMD, which states she was 47.
    I am hoping Edward is the same Edward that is born in Cheriton, Hampshire in 1791. 1841 census says he was not born in Cheshire.

Thanks,

Joanna
    Joanna

Hi and welcome

where abouts in cheshire is he from? do you know elizabeths maiden name?

assume you are hoping he is this one from IGI

27 DEC 1791 Cheriton, Hampshire, England
    Father: THOMAS SPARSHOTT Family Mother: MARY
    Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

This is in the 1851 index:

Edward Sparshale Sophia abt 1816 Hdywatea, Hampshire, Head Hastings St Leonard, Sussex

Edward Sparshat (wife Phoebe) abt 1773 Winchester Head Melksham, Wiltshire

Edward Sparshobt Sarah abt 1784 Portsmouth, Hampshire, Head St Marylebone, Middlesex
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

In 1841 he is in Peover Inferior, Civil Parish of Great Budworth.

Elizabeth's maiden name is Chesworth. They married in Weaverham on 15th July 1817.
        Joanna

Comment

no sign of edwards death on the cheshire parish records site...allan
          Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
          oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
          adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
          merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
          coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
            This is in the 1851 index:

Edward Sparshale Sophia abt 1816 Hdywatea, Hampshire, Head Hastings St Leonard, Sussex

Edward Sparshat (wife Phoebe) abt 1773 Winchester Head Melksham, Wiltshire

Edward Sparshobt Sarah abt 1784 Portsmouth, Hampshire, Head St Marylebone, Middlesex
            Hi Little Nell,
            I think the first one is born a little too late to be the Edward I'm looking for because Edward (born 1800) has children born after 1819.
            And the other 2 were already married when Edward married Elizabeth Chesworth.
            I think he completely disappeared!
            Joanna

Comment

Originally posted by garstonite View Post
              no sign of edwards death on the cheshire parish records site
              Thanks Allan,

I also tried Lancashire BMD because his son moved to Manchester but I couldn't find him on there either :(
              Joanna

Comment

[/quote]assume you are hoping he is this one from IGI

27 DEC 1791 Cheriton, Hampshire, England
                Father: THOMAS SPARSHOTT Family Mother: MARY[/QUOTE]

Sorry, didn't see this bit :o
                Yes, that's its!
                Joanna

Comment

Although they rounded down tothe nearest 5 or 10 on the 1841 if he were this chap he would have been nearer 50 than 40 Joanna. Baptism date doesnt always tie in with a birth year either, so he could have been even older. In the 1841 there is a big gap of 8 years in the kids ages from eldes to the next - he may have been married before or Elizabeth had been. Or kids in between had died or left home. Have you traced anything?
                  Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 22-06-08, 22:38.

Comment

Northwich, History & Life Among the Residents: 1828-1892

have you looked at this site which is Northwich & surrounding areas.
                    Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

Well that's what I was thinking but wife Elizabeth says she is 40 although she is 46. She died a year later aged 47.
                      And he could have always lied about his age or not known it.
                      Joanna

Comment

Originally posted by jean View Post
                        Northwich, History & Life Among the Residents: 1828-1892

have you looked at this site which is Northwich & surrounding areas.
                        Unfortunately I can't find any information about Lower Peover, where they lived on there. Northwich is a borough of Vale Royal, whereas Lower Peover (Peover Inferior as it was) is Macclesfield. - (I live in between the two) but I don't know if it was similar back in 1841.
                        Joanna

Comment

In 1841 he is in Peover Inferior, Civil Parish of Great Budworth
                          Great Budworth comes under Northwich
                          Now Peover, lower Peover etc is Knutsford

what is Edwards occupation?
                          Jean

Comment

1841 he says he's a publican. Maybe you could find something that has list of publicans for the area.

I did find a fantastic online site of pubs in Norfolk with lists of publicans, found a few rellies that way.
                            ~ with love from Little Nell~
                            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by Heather Positive Thinker View Post
                              In the 1841 there is a big gap of 8 years in the kids ages from eldes to the next - he may have been married before or Elizabeth had been. Or kids in between had died or left home. Have you traced anything?
                              He had 4 children that I know about. According to other censuses and death registers:

William b.1819
                              Sarah b.1820
                              Mary b.1825
                              Henry b.1827

William, Sarah and Mary all married in St Oswalds Church, Lower Peover
                              Joanna

Comment

ooh you answered for me Nell;)
                                Jean

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                                  1841 he says he's a publican. Maybe you could find something that has list of publicans for the area.

I did find a fantastic online site of pubs in Norfolk with lists of publicans, found a few rellies that way.
                                  I know there's 2 pubs - The Crown and The Bells of Peover. Can't find any info about the first and for the second, most info starts when the name was changed when it was taken over by the Bell family.

Mary Sparshott b.1825 marries a Jonas Bell, both from Lower Peover, but this may just be a coincidence!
                                  Joanna

Comment

Ok, Lower Peover was on Allostock 1851 census
                                    Allostock 1851 Census
                                    Jean

Comment

Ooh, i've just been exploring the website Jean found and Lower Peover is under the directory of Nether Peover. It says at the bottom 'Sparschott Edw., victualler, Church House'. I think this might be in 1850.
                                      Joanna

Comment

He is not on 1851 census for Nether Peover.
                                        Jean

Comment

Working...
                                        X