Looking for Peter Small Scotland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Peter Small Scotland

I am looking for the parents of Peter Small born 1850 Scotland.
    This is my gt.gt.grandfather married to Margaret in 1874 in Stockton-on-Tees Co.Durham where they lived and raised a large family including my gt.grandmother Euphemia. Peter and Margarets marriage cert states Peters father as David Small
    I have found a David and Margaret Small on LDS living in Perth Scotland with a large family including a Peter b.1850 and daughter Euphemia.
    So with this unusual name Euphemia could this be the right family and Peter named his daughter after his sister or does anyone think it's just a coinsidence. I don't want to add this to my tree if it's wrong but it all seems to fit, I would appreciate any comments. Thankyou Chris

I'd say it was a good working hypothesis. Whether or not you put it into your tree, provisionally, depends on what policy you have chosen to deal with such things. Some people won't put anything into their trees unless they have at least three confirming pieces of evidence, while others (like me) put the theory in, but with indications that it may not be true.

The problem with unusual names is that they can run in families - so that you get cousins with the same names. And I believe that Euphemia was less unusual in Scotland - abbreviated to Phemie?

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I would think it extremely likely they are connected. Is father David's occupation on Peter's marriage cert the same as the one you've found in Perth?

Have you found Peter on later censuses giving a more specific birthplace?
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Christine has a point, but if there are two Euphemias with fathers called David, they can't be first cousins.

Comment

The Peter in 1851 is 8 months old. Do you have a baptism or any records with his birth month on them?

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
            Christine has a point, but if there are two Euphemias with fathers called David, they can't be first cousins.
            Aha! You've spotted the flaw in my reasoning. I was distracted by eating my supper while reading. No, they couldn't be first cousins.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

The Euphemia in 1851 has birth year of abt 1835.

Ancestral file on FamilySearch.org - Family History and Genealogy Records has this
              Euphemia SMALL (AFN: 2428-X7W)
              Birth: 26 Sep 1834 Perth, Perth, , Scotland
              Christening: 5 Oct 1834 Perth, Perth, , Scotland
              Father: David SMALL (AFN: 2428-X1N)
              Mother: Margaret NIVEN (AFN: 2428-X2V)

The date is about right, the place is right and parents' names are right. But there's no submitter's details and you would ideally need to check this out with the original baptism registers.

Comment

Even better, the same baptism is on IGI with this batch no C119485. The batch doesn't have a baptism for your Peter but it does have

John Small, same parents as Euphemia,
                Birth: 30 JUL 1839
                Christening: 25 AUG 1839 Perth

and

Andrew Small, same parents
                Birth: 17 DEC 1836
                Christening: 01 JAN 1837 Perth

Comment

1851 has a John born abt 1840 so that ties in nicely, and an Andrew born abt 1849, so possibly named after an elder brother who died.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                    I would think it extremely likely they are connected. Is father David's occupation on Peter's marriage cert the same as the one you've found in Perth?

Have you found Peter on later censuses giving a more specific birthplace?
                    Thankyou for your reply Little Nell, I don't know Davids occupation in Perth Peters marriage cert. states he was a labourer. Peter was a lodger at 19 in the 1871 census and a boilersmith in the census forms after that. Peter and Margaret also had children - John, Alexander, and Jane the names of Peters other siblings.
                    Sorry Little Nell the census forms only state Scotland as the birthplace.
                    Thankyou - Chris

Comment

Thanks for you reply and comments Christine the only info I had was Peter Small born 1850 from Scotland and father David on m.cert I must admit I am one of those people who like to be pretty sure before entering anything down.
                      Thanks again Christine Regards Chris

Comment

Euphemia was a fairly common name in Scotland, so I would say you need more proof to be sure it's the right family. Have you checked to see if there are wills / inventories listed for any of them on Scotland's People?
                        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks for your reply KiteRunner no I haven't checked Scotlands People but I will do, thankyou Kind Regards - Chris

Comment

peter small

Hi Christine
                            may not help but I am peter small with father david and mother magaret. But I live in london.

Comment

You need to take the family you found on the 1851 census and move forward to 1861, 1871 etc etc to see what happened to them all. Hopefully Peter will vanish from the Scottish censuses at the right time without dying!

Do the occupations match up for David from 1851 to his son's marriage cert?

Comment

Batch number C113236 and also C113476 show more children born to couple with same names.

Peter is on the latter batch number.
                                With Experience comes Realisation

Comment

This is a pretty old thread that has just been bumped up by Peter Small posting on it, so it could well be that Christine has got further with this in the meantime!
                                  KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                                  (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

So it is! I never look at the dates!

Comment

Working...
                                    X