Hmmmmm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hmmmmm

Robert Smith and Mary Hollinger married in Cupar Fife in 1847 and the groom's occupation is given as umbrella maker, although on his daughters' brith certificates in 1856 and 1861 he is recorded as a bell hanger.

Robert isn't with Mary on the 1861 or 1871 and I haven't been able to find Robert and Mary Smith together on the 1851.

However there is a Mary Hollinger aged 21 born Dundee (both correct) in Forfar Prison in 1851. She is recorded as married and the wife of a travelling tinker. The two prisoners above her are Robert Young married 24 umbrella mender or tinker and John Smith unmarried 22 umbrella mender or tinker.

Is this too much of a coincidence?
    Asa

I'd say it's not a coincidence. Possibly the Young and Smith are wrong way round, or also bare in mind travellers often have more than one surname and chop and change, very common even today.

By the way that's the second umbrella maker on your tree isn't it Asa didn't we have another one with the Huguenot lot...Harry Heudebourk? At least your ancestors wern't getting wet!

Comment

If you say "umbrella maker" and "Bell hanger" aloud...
      I think they could sound quite similar. Maybe the enumerators put down something they expected?

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hello Richard - yeh that's right. I've not sorted the Heudebourcks out yet
        I've just found a John Smith umbrella maker on the 1861 in Cupar, right age and birthplace as the bloke in the 1851, married to an Elizabeth. I suspect it's the same and as you say the Robert Young could be my Mary Hollinger's husband with a different surname.

Christine, that had occurred to me! As he is absent on the 61 and 71 it's so very hard to work out what went on but he is once recorded as a master bell hanger, which seems unlikely.
        Asa

Comment

Working...
        X