Wills and Hidden Dosh!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wills and Hidden Dosh!!

I have found out that my 4xG/Gdad, Richard Edmondson though he only least a farm in North Yorkshire, he seems to have been involved in all manner of deals. I have been able to search several cash account books of the 1790s from the large estate he least from. In them he was often buying and selling things for £20,£40, his annual rent was £100, all cash !!. In one entry he was hired to act as agent for the estate to help the "Leeds + Liverpool Canal Co" to find extra water. I don't know where he came from before 1745 when he married Rebeccah Wilkinson or who his parents were, I wish I did. I think he had a brother Wm. who also keeps popping up in the account books, also with CASH !!
    Because of this I don't know if Richard had money before farming, I am assuming that he must have had something !! when he died. (but I don't know when he died) If he made a will, could I find out anything about it, because that might answer other questions. Any ideas about Wills ??
    Family details I'm looking for:- Edmondson-N/Yorkshire+Salford. Wilkinson-N/Yorks, [B]O'N[/B]eill-Manchester+Ireland?, Hill-Derbyshire, Warrington-Derbyshire +N.Zealand, Makin- Salford, Partington- Prestwich

I think you'll find there's some useful info on the topic of Wills in the Wiki?

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Christine, I'll cut you in if there is any left !!!
      Family details I'm looking for:- Edmondson-N/Yorkshire+Salford. Wilkinson-N/Yorks, [B]O'N[/B]eill-Manchester+Ireland?, Hill-Derbyshire, Warrington-Derbyshire +N.Zealand, Makin- Salford, Partington- Prestwich

Comment

Ooooh, Good! ;)

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Pipeman

Everything was cash in those days, people didnt have cheque books then. A successful farmer would have had plenty of spare cash.

I would be astonished if he DIDN'T make a will - all my farming ancestors bar one, made wills. They were very careful people, farmers, always looking to the future.

OC

Comment

Yes all my farmers left Wills as well ..... there's only one I can't find .....but he died by accident ...so maybe didn't have time to make one.

They all paid in cash as well .... and kept everything .... letters, bills, accounts, petty cash books, leases and everything back to the 1700s .... I wouldn't have know as much as I do about them...if it hadn't been for their help.

Jean
            Jean....the mist is starting to clear

Comment

Jean

The one who didn't make a will, caused his family no end of problems, with the result that they ALL made wills, even the married daughters - thankyou, great great great grandad, that gave me eleven very detailed wills with some priceless information.

This family have been so easy to trace, right back to 1498, because they farmed the same farm, and left wills.

There is also a bundle of "miscellaneous items" for this family sitting waiting for me at Cheshire Records Office, if I can ever get there.

OC

Comment

Id love to be able to sort through lots of paperwork for any of my lot.

Comment

Christine, sorry you are going to have to waite !.
                  I have had a look in "Wiki" but nothing seems to jump out at me as to 'where' I can look to find if there was a Will. Do Wills go to a central place for keeping after they have run their time. The family lived in North Yorkshire.
                  In my search, I was amazed at the amount of money Richard spent regularly. In one week he spent £20 on ewes and £40 on a new bull. Has anyone an idea of what that sort of money would be worth in todays money?

Comment

Did you find this page:
                    Wills and Probate - Family Tree Forum

Christine

Comment

Thanks Christine,
                      Perhaps I should learn to look properly, MEN !!

Comment

Have you tried looking at a2a?

A2A - Access to Archives | Home

Comment

Or this link which searches lots of things at once:
                          TNA multi-search - advanced

Christine

Comment

Working...
                          X