Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where can I find.....?

Please, can anyone help?

Where can I find old street maps and photographs of roads etc?

I am now collecting a number of B, M and D certificates. Many of them contain addresses and some of these do still exist. The problem is - some do not. Whether through wars or rebuilding, for whatever reason, they are no longer there.

A good (current) example that I have come unstuck with is "9 Maylor Street, London". Google Maps (bless 'em) show it as Oxfam Books & Music 91 Marylebone High Street London. So the road has clearly disappeared during development. But are there sites where maps and photographs of such places can be viewed/downloaded/purchased on line?

There are quite a few sites for maps and photographs listed in the wiki.

Click on the word Wiki in the blue navigation bar, and select Wiki main page.
    Click on the icon The British Isles, which will take you to a page where countries are listed.
    Click on England and scroll down a bit and you will see all the counties.

As an example, click on London, scroll down the page and you will see a collection of links entitled "Maps, Photographs and Walks" - which may, or may not contain, something of use!

You should find a similar section under the other county listings.
    Elaine

Comment

Thank you so much for the quick reply Elaine....

I'm sooooo embarrassed now though :o:o:o - I've not got around to exploring this great site in any depth yet. I only joined a few days ago, asked a question, and my feet haven't touched the ground since with all the information that was found by members. And here is another example.... I'll now find time to go and browse around the 'wiki' (strange word) and learn to "look there before I ask" in future!

But thank you so much for the 'heads-up'!

Comment

Don't be embarrassed!
        It's a wonderful resource and there is so much information there. If you have problems finding what you are looking for then just ask.
        Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
          Don't be embarrassed!
          It's a wonderful resource and there is so much information there. If you have problems finding what you are looking for then just ask.
          Yes, I will....

Comment

The Wiki is a brilliant start. You can also google the place/street name as that sometimes finds useful sites.

And once you get going, you'll find that records offices, local history centres and main libraries often have a wealth of photos and maps covering many years.

Don't be embarrassed - you'll be amazed how quickly you pick things up, and this board is here to help.
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
              The Wiki is a brilliant start. You can also google the place/street name as that sometimes finds useful sites.

And once you get going, you'll find that records offices, local history centres and main libraries often have a wealth of photos and maps covering many years.

Don't be embarrassed - you'll be amazed how quickly you pick things up, and this board is here to help.

I think this is where I 'fall down'... Unfortunately a quick visit to any of these is out of the question. If only it were possible I would probably be living somewhere near to the NA in Kew :D. But due to health problems there is no likelyhood now that I will be able to return to the UK. I've come to terms with that - it's not a problem... But like the man who can't see or hear has to enhance other senses, I have to find other means to solve these problems 'on line'. Just finding this site will, I believe, go a long way to helping me find all I'm looking for.

Comment

Hi Elba,

you will also find that "some" members regularly have "meets" at Kew, and we do have members that do visit kew quite regular. So if there is something, then i'm sure that our members would do a lookup, as you are not able to get to the uk to do so yourself.

Oh, btw

our "Wiki" is based on wikipedia it also means that any of our members can edit/add to it..

But ours looks abit different to that, and has been created mainly by the members finding links and placing them within our own Wiki.
                Last edited by Darksecretz; 22-06-08, 10:33.
                Julie
                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Elba

My error, I should have checked your location!

There used to be a site called "Lost London Streets" but I think its gone now, sadly.
                  However, if you have any specific roads/places you can't find, do put up a post, between us I am sure we can help.

I have also sometimes found streets that I've misread on a cert, so that they are still in existence, I've jut been looking for the wrong name!
                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
                  X