surname, schmurname

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• surname, schmurname

Took opportunity to look at some parish registers in Norwich today.

The marriage register was too damaged, but I found banns for my gt x 3 grandparents, John Dunt and Kezia Seals in 1794. IGI has her as Kezia Seals, but the banns recorded her as Chizia!

Didn't find Kezia's baptism, but there are was a baptism for a John Searll parents John & Mary born about 4 years afer Kezia (have her rough birth year from burial records). John Scarl son of John & Mary is buried later the same year.

So working on the premise that John & Mary Searl/Scarl could be Seals, I found a marriage in the same parish on IGI for John Scurrell (Scarl) and Mary Sales.

Limpenhoe parish registers on Norfolk Baptism Project (starts 1813, so a bit later than this lot) has several entries for Scarl, Searl and Sales.

Do you think these are all variants of the same name or at least 3 different surnames?
    Last edited by Little Nell; 10-03-09, 20:27.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Hm

1841 census has a Thomas Scarle in Limpenhoe, publican. Norfolk pubs online has the publican 1839 as Thomas Scurrell. After Thomas, the pub was run by William Scarl and then William Sales!!!

Comment

They could well be variants of the same surname, but because John and Mary are such common names, you'd need to do some more checking to be sure. I don't suppose there are any other couples with those surnames but with rarer first names who you could follow through to see if they have all the variations?
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Kezia/Chizia is as exotic as it gets!

As I was going through the registers I was thinking if only a name would leap out, but its all Mary/John/Thomas/Mary Ann/William!!!

Comment

Sorry, I spent so long typing that one that you had already found some more! Looks very promising, then.
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I need another trip to Norwich now!!!

Comment

and more possible variants

Scurl, Seles

Comment

It does look a possibility. I have GARDNER/GARDENER/GARDINER/GARNER/GARNAR in my tree. OH's tree has a rather more variable name: WADLETON/WADDLETON/WEDLETON/WEDDLETON/WADLIN(G)/?WADDLIN(G)

I only know because Milo WADLIN (in the USA) has a very interesting site about the family name.

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Looking for my OH's ancestors brings up PUSEY/PUZEY/PUZZEY/PUCEY/PEWSEY/PI SS EY/PIZZEY/PIZZY

All very confusing!!! My side the surname is Thomas, not many variations there.
                  Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Thank KiteRunner, Christine and Wendy for your thoughts.

Comment

Working...
                    X