X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching for Ellen Riley (I think?)

I'm trying to find Ellen Riley in Lower Darwen Lanc's born circa 1825

This is the info I have:

I'm tracing back Samuel Taylor b 1851 Tonge Lanc's d 1879 Oswaldtwistle Lanc's

I have him in 1851 age 2 weeks at Irk Street Park Tonge along with

Father William age 28 Coal Miner born Heywood
    Mother Ellen age 26 Born Lower Darwen (it's got Doren on the transcript lol)
    Brothers John & Robert ages 5 & 4
    Sister Srah Ann age 2.

From this I went looking for a marriage between William Taylor and an Ellen, knowing William was with his parents in 1841 and John being born in 1846 ish I presumed the marriage would be between these dates, also as marriages usually take place in on around the brides parish I've looked for one registered in Blackburn, now my presumptions could be completely wrong, in which case I'm further up the creek than I thought I was.

Searching for the marriage, the only one which looks right takes place in 1844 between William Taylor & Ellen Riley Q4 Blackburn Vol 21 Page 45.

Assuming this is correct I'm now looking for a Ellen Riley in 1841, she was born abt 1825 and this is consistant througthout census from 1851 - 1901, she died in 1903 registered in Blackburn.

In searching I found a baptism (NC) in 1824 at the Lower Ind. Chapel in Darwen but it was the wrong one.

There are a couple of assumptions and presumptions but that's all I've got

Any help appreciated

L

It would be safer to buy Samuel's birth cert to be sure of Ellen's previous name(s)

Comment

Hmmmm.....the only birth for a Samuel Taylor on LancsBMD in the subdistrict of Chadderton in Oldham (where Tonge is) in 1851 has mmn ASPINALL

Comment

Maybe yours wasn't registered?

Comment

mmmmmmmmmm turns red for not spotting that !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm just wrining out a list of certs to order before I go on Hols.

Will go and check again for marriages of William Taylor and Aspinall

Thanks

L

Comment

Can't find a marriage for William Taylor/Ellen Aspinall in the time frame

Ancestry shows that in 1851 there were
            4 x Samuel Taylors registerd in Q1 in Oldham
            1 in Q2
            1 in Q3
            1 in Q4

The Ellen Riley connection though, further investigation shows that WT/ER were married at Church Kirk which is next door to Oswaldtwistle, they lived there from 1861.

I've found a Ellen in 1841 aged 20 living with mother Betty in Oswaldtwistle, I'm wondering if they moved there after living in Lower Darwen.

Off to get a large glass of red whilst I ponder

L

Comment

Ermmm. there wasn't a Lower Independant Chapel in Blackburn, it was in Over Darwen.

Lower Darwen and Over Darwen were to all intents and purposes two different towns - Lower Darwen folk went to Blackburn Cathedral, Over Darwen folk went to the Lower or Higher Independent Chapels, both of which were in Over Darwen and only feet away from each other. (Lower just meant it was a bit nearer the bottom of the hill than the other one)

There was also a C of E chapel of ease which served Darwen - called Darwen Chapel, later St James.

Marriages for all these areas were only performed at Blackburn Cathedral, which was the parish church. The parish church bit was called St Mary the Virgin.

Clear as mud, eh?

To make it even more complicated - some people in Over Darwen were in the parish of Whalley and married either at Accrington, or Whalley, although most traipsed the five miles to Blackburn Cathedral.

OC

Comment

Hi OC

No I wasn't saying there was an Ind Chapel in B/Burn it is the direct quote from TNA, reference is "Lower Independant Chapel in the Parish of Blackburn-over-Darwen".

The baptism I found is the wrong one anyway, but I must say the info you can get from the NC stuff is very good. The Ellen who was baptised in the Ind. is with her parents in the 1851 census, long after the William/Ellen I'm looking for were married.

I know well the confusion around this area, I've got Eatough's coming out of the woodwork, from Whalley, Gt Harwood, Oswaldtwistle, Church and Blackburn, and if this Riley connection works out it looks like I'm going to be scrating around Tockholes and Liversey and Guide

L
                Last edited by It_Is_I_Leclerc; 21-06-08, 17:27. Reason: spelling !!!!!!!!

Comment

I've got seven Ellen Rileys baptised between 1821 and 1827 in Lancs. I have no idea if all are in the right area.

Comment

Gawd, even the TNA can't make sense of where the chapel is. Blackburn-over-Darwen indeed!

I happen to know that LAN-OPC is transcribing Tong records at the mo, so it shouldn't be too long before they are online.

Also, if you can get hold of a copy of the Pole Lane Census 1819, this might help - as the name suggests, it was a census of all who lived in the Pole Lane area in 1819 (Over Darwen).

When Pole Lane Chapel divided and a new chapel was built (thus leading to the upper and lower independent chapels, Over Darwen, lol) the Ebenezer Chapel lot kept the census going and their records include family groups with dates of birth, baptisms, grandparents and so on - absolute little gold mine!

In fact, the IGI have transcribed most of the Pole Lane Census - but without the detail which makes it so invaluable, and it just appears on the IGI as a duplicate register. Why they did this, I do not know.

OC

Comment

Working...
                    X