Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've found my Grandfather in 1901!!

What a performance!

David John Passe has been hiding from me for ages.I have tried variations of spelling, plus 'Vaughan' as his widowed mother Hannah, was always believed to have remarried a William Vaughan, so I sent for the cert, just to make sure - wrong Hannah :(.

So, back to square one. Then, talking to my cousin, he casually says 'My Dad always said that David was brought up by the Arnold family'. So, I look again in 1901 and there he is as 'John Arnold' with the right birth date and place and a 'coal miner/hewer' which is what he was in later life too. ;)

It gets better!

I then look for a possible marriage and there it is, in 1894. Arthur Arnold and Hannah 'Pask'. No wonder I couldn't trace her!

I am so excited that at long last I've traced him - he has given me so much trouble at every stage - even re-marrying after my grandmother's death and none of us cousins ever knew - nobody mentioned it.

I've now ordered the right marriage certificate - another piece put in the jigsaw :D.

Gwyn
    Freya - a lovely, funny human-friendly disaster waiting to happen....

That's great news ! .... bet you'll be smiling all weekend

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Congrats. isn't it great when you finally track them down. a great satisfaction.

It took me ages to find my great-grandfathers. In 1901 James Eccles was hiding under James E Cales because there was a small space between the E and the C. In 1881, Reuben Page was misindexed as Reuben Pater, but fortunately, his oddly written birthplace was a clue, because he was living far from home at the time.

Its great to prove it can be done with perservance and patience
      Di
      Diane
      Sydney Australia
      Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Well done! What good news.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Well done - and it's more satisfying than when people are found easily!!

Comment

Oh wonderful, isnt it a lovely feeling when this sort of thing happens.

Comment

Congratulations!
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thank you all - I am on such a buzz at the moment. As Merry says, the hard ones are much more fun aren't they? The only thing left now is his Army pension record, but I think it must be amongst those which were destroyed. That's my excuse for not being able to find them anyway!

Gwyn

Comment

Congratulations Gwyn
                  Hard work always pays off
                  Sandra
                  [FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Purple"]Sandra

Comment

Very satisfying. I had been looking for marriage for my gt x 3 grandparents' marriage without success. Found the parish marriage register too badly damaged to read, but yesterday looked at the banns and found them both! She was recorded as Chizia instead of Kezia.
                    ~ with love from Little Nell~
                    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Genealogy is a bit like cryptic crosswords isn't it - lateral thinking and a bit of help from your cousin :D ! Perhaps that's why I like both. In the early days, I remember looking up ancestors and if the surname wasn't spelled correctly - 'well, that can't be him/her'.

I've learned ;) - fast!!

Gwyn

Comment

Working...
                      X