The Next of Kin on Google Books search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Next of Kin on Google Books search

One of those books on Google Book search which doesn't even give you a snippet view of the page ("no preview available"), so all you get is the text that it shows for your search match.

The Next of kin, -heir-at-law, and unclaimed property gazette

It finds a match for one of my rellies - "SALTER, Robert, Gainsford-street, Horsleydown, ship broker".

"About this book" doesn't even say what year it was published. And the digitised copy is from Oxford University, i.e. the Bodleian. Does anybody know where I could find out more about why his name was printed in there? I have a possible death for him in 1851 on the indexes, but there is no will or admon for him, or at least I've never found one.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

I realised after logging off for the night that I don't think that 1851 death I had pencilled in can be him, because he was a witness at a wedding on 7th July 1852 - or at least, I thought that was him. But I can't see another possible death on the indexes. I never found a death or remarriage for his wife Louisa either. So if I could find out what year that "next of kin" thing is about it could be very helpful.

After posting this up last night, I found one of my rellies whose marriage was listed in The Gentleman's Magazine! Now that's a first for my family!
    So, definitely worth checking back on Google Book Search every once in a while as they seem to be adding stuff all the time.
    KiteRunner

Comment

Having nosed about a bit, it seems to be something called "The Missing Next-of-Kin and Heirs-at-Law" and was published by a firm called Dougal (the Unclaimed Money Registry) in various years. Still can't work out how to get a copy of enough of it to find out why Robert Salter was listed. Anybody ever looked anything up in it? I'm sure I've come across an advert for the Unclaimed Money Registry before but I don't know where!
      KiteRunner

Comment

HI Kite

Have you read through this webiste's mailing messages? Ou may have to scroll down the page a bit to see the first messge and then subsequently click on the followig messages as necessary.

Unclaimed Money Registry

Maybew this link will be of help as well - unless you've already enquired

WendyP

Comment

Thanks, Wendy. The book is too expensive for me - I don't think I'm likely to get 50 pounds out of his estate! I saw that rootsweb thread on google but just kept getting "the page cannot be displayed", but your link works. But reading through that thread, it seems to be a dead end.
          KiteRunner

Comment

Having found a Humphrey Gregory Pridden in that (or a similar) book that did have more than snippets it was deeply unsatisfactory: an index only to records that presumably a solicitor had compiled. Presumably, just like the modern solicitors who offer you a share in Aunt Maud's millions, provided you give them a slice.
            Phoenix - with charred feathers
            Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Yes, I was just hoping that this snippet might lead me to find out when it was that he died, but never mind, I suppose I'll find out one day!
              KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
              X