Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help wanted with details on parish register

Hi,
    I wonder if there is anyone that can help me, I have a copy of a parish record for my G Grandfather but am unsure what it means.
    The entry for Stephen Edmund Wadey, the word deceased, who does it relate to?
    I have attached the image, any help would be gratefully received
    Many thanks
    Jo
    Attached Files

Sorry Jo, but the image is not clear enough for me to read, even magnified.
    Bridget

Comment

Hi Jo, welcome to FTF

I'm afraid your image is too small to be read.

Maybe you could tell us what is written in each column?

Comment

Sorry, I can't read the image, but I would imagine that the word deceased would apply to the person whose name is in front of it.

As its a baptism register, I assume its one of the baptised child's parents.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

That's a really odd place to put deceased. As it's at the bottom of the entry, it looks as if it's referring to the mother.

You need to get a copy of the burial register for the period. (Well, you need to anyway, to find out as much as you can about the family)
          Phoenix - with charred feathers
          Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

I'm guessing here, but is he the one born in Brighton in about 1830 who was a sweep?

There are these burial records on Family History Online (I selected 1828-1833 Sussex). I can't read who his parents are from the image you posted, but maybe they are amongst this list? (the list won't be complete for Sussex, just what has been uploaded to Family History Online.)

1. Anthony WADEY found in Sussex Burials 1 entry in Sussex during 1832 details £0.07

2. Charlotte WADEY found in Sussex Burials 1 entry in Sussex during 1829 details £0.07

3. Eliza WADEY found in Billingshurst Burials and Probate 1 entry in Sussex during 1829 details £0.07

4. Elizabeth WADEY found in Sussex Burials 3 entries in Sussex between 1828 and 1833 details £0.21

5. James WADEY found in Billingshurst Burials and Probate 1 entry in Sussex during 1830 details £0.07

6. Margaret WADEY found in Sussex Burials 1 entry in Sussex during 1830 details £0.07

7. Mary WADEY found in Sussex Burials 1 entry in Sussex during 1830 details £0.07

8. Rhoda WADEY found in Billingshurst Burials and Probate 1 entry in Sussex during 1829 details £0.07

9. William WADEY found in Billingshurst Burials and Probate 1 entry in Sussex during 1833 details £0.07

Comment

Thanks for all your replies, I have had a look at the burial records on FHO none of which seem to apply. MMM yes you are correct he was the sweep. The really confusing thing is there is a Hannah Wady showing on the 1841 census living with some children with the name Thwaites (this was her surname before she married William) she had been previously widowed. Cannot find anything on either William or Stephen on the 1841 census, although there is a Steven Wadey but he is aged 15 (occupation is a sweep though?) The more you delve the more confusing it gets!

The details are shown like this- The year is 1829, St Nicolas, Brighthelmstone

First Column Date Sept 20
              Second Colulmn Stephen Edmund son of
              Third Column William & Hannah
              Fourth Column Wadey and under that (deceased) Roughly in line with the name Hannah
              Fifth column Address
              If there is anyone out there that can help me with this conundrum I would be very grateful, before I pull all my hair out.
              Thanks a million
              Last edited by Jogan; 21-06-08, 20:25.

Comment

Sounds to me as though one of the parents was deceased. Could there have been two wives named Hannah?
                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Working...
                X