finding someone at sea, or in prison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finding someone at sea, or in prison

I seem to remember that I achieved this search some time ago, but cannot for the life of me remember how, or where I looked.

I am looking for Charles William Wrightson in 1901 - it is highly likely that he had either run away to sea, or was in prison! Please could somebody tell me what I type into Ancestry or google
    Sally - Researching amongst others, JOSEPHY; WRIGHTSON; COOPER; GLOVER; DOWNING AND DICKINSON.

Well if he is at sea, he will only be enumerated if his ship was in harbour, or filled in a form before sailing away.

if he is in prison, you should be able to find him anyway. So you just do the usual search. If he was in an asylum, he might only be recorded with his initials.

When and where was he born?
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Is this him, a convict in Carisbrooke:

RG13; Piece: 1022; Folio: 117; Page: 7

?

Comment

Thank you Little Nell, but that's not him - he was born in 1878 in Danby Wiske, Yorkshire and served in the Navy for the duration of WW1.
        Sally - Researching amongst others, JOSEPHY; WRIGHTSON; COOPER; GLOVER; DOWNING AND DICKINSON.

Comment

He was the "bad boy" of the family, and the only thing known about him is that my grandmother (his sister) used to send food parcels and sometimes clothing to either Hull, Grimsby or Hartlepool.

I have found a possible death for him after the war, in Hartlepool and am awaiting the cert. He wouldn't have been in an asylum, but may have been in prison. I just can't find him though

Comment

Sorry, I had a scout round but can't see him. Quite possible he was at sea.

Comment

Thank you anyway Nell - somehow it's comforting to know that I haven't just been useless in finding something! I just hate assuming things, but in this case I may have to and at least I have his WW1 record, and will with luck find the right death cert which might tell me more.

Comment

Working...
              X