Photo Dating Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo Dating Please

Anybody able to help date this photo? I think it shows my great-great grandmother but not sure so a dating would help confirm or otherwise. Thanks

Richard....the girl's dress is 1920s. The drop waist was common then, but I suppose the dress could be a hand me down.

Comment

i would have thought earlier,late 1800,s 1890 brenda xxx

Comment

Great-Great gran was born 1884, so I'm hoping the photo is 1890's. The girl looks extremelly like her, but I'm wondering if that's because she's a close relative, i.e a niece, if the photo is from a later date. It couldn't possibly be her if it's as late as the 1920's

Comment

Sorry, all I can get is a little red cross and no photo, will look later to see if it's re'appeared.

Comment

CANCEL THAT....it's back....

Comment

The photo looks pre ww1, young girls had drop waist outfits then. Also the adults clothes look early 20th century.

Comment

Thanks Barbara, so there's no chance this could date from late 19th around 1890-1896? If not I doubt it can be g-g-gran. Such a striking resemblence though, and photo was in her daughters posessions.

Comment

Richard, I honestly would doubt it was that early, the clothes look all wrong. They look edwardian, it looks about 1910 I think, but....I could be wrong...

Comment

Thanks Barbara, thing is the later photos of g-g gran right up to 1940's she seems to be wearing exactly the same locket around her kneck which also makes me think it's her, but I suppose that's not prooof.

Comment

Have rescanned the little girl, next to a picture of my g-g gran in 1921, and below in 1942, to see if others think I'm right on the resemblence.

Comment

Also here's the little girls knecklace in the first pic

Here is g-g grans in the 1942 pic

Am I right in thinking they both have an identical dent to the top right hand side, or is it a trick of light/my imagination!

Thanks

Comment

My gut instinct was 1910 although I haven't a clue why that popped into my head (that was before Barbara looked at it) .... didn't like to comment because I'm usually wrong !

The chap's collar and tie do seem too modern for the Victorian era ... not stiff and starchy

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Thanks Rachel, I was under impression it was the other way round, the big stiff collars coming in during the Edwardian era. Maybe wrong though...just remember a discussion on that on the '100 year old photos' thread in the General section that seemed to suggest so.

Comment

yes you're right :o ... how embarrassing .... that was my own thread !!! :D

I think I meant that his collar and tie seem far more relaxed/less formal than ? whatever era came before :D .... phew .... think I'll stop now before I dig myself in further

His tie reminds me of the ones we had at primary school

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Fair enough Rachel, just glad I hadn't imagined it!

Have to admit her clothes (the lady) arn't what I'd typically think are Victorian 1890's either, so maybe you are right Rachel and the photo is later, just I'm sure there is a resemblence there g-g gran and the little girl...

Comment

Barbara and Don are the experts .... I'm only an 'observer'

The little girl's necklace, difficult to see, but looks like a coin on a chain .... can't see a hole in it though (for a link to go through)

Last edited by Rachel Scand; 21-06-08, 20:06.

Comment

Working...
                                  X