Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

would you say this is her hiding from husband ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• would you say this is her hiding from husband ??

Elizabeth Emily Miller born (Muller)1880 Finsbury Holborn Middlesex ,marries a Noah Stanley in 1898 Portslade in Sussex
    in 1901 he is alone as a lodger in Fishersgate Sussex and he is married, no sign of wifey !!!!
    Have found on 1901 a Elizabeth Anight born 1880 Middlesex as a servant in Eastbourne Sussex says single ????
    Her brother married a Knight so wondered if she got the idea from that????
    Cannot find any other Anights anyway only this one ???
    Unless of course you can ?????????
    This lady according to an aunt lived in the 1940s in The East End by herself no man around ???
    So I am thinking she did not get on with new hubby and came back to Middlesex not long after.
    Do you agree ??? thanks
    Have it on authority he died in 1947 in Hove and none of his family knew he had married ???

The image says Knight, not Anight!!

I don't see how you can establish who this lady is as there were loads of Elizabeth Knights born in London/Middlesex who would have been about 21 in 1901.......

Comment

oh does it Merry I must get some new glasses then .
      She was definitely not ever seen with her husband after they married he went to live with an aunt !!!!!
      Oh well thanks a lot

Comment

So why did they marry?

If it was a love match they would have set up home together surely? If it was a shotgun marriage she ought to be around with a child. Whatever happened, she must have gone somewhere and either been supported by her husband or earned her own living.

If she was posing as single I'd imagine she would have used either her married name and called herself "miss" or reverted to her maiden name.

If none of Noah's family knew he'd married, they must have kept the marriage a secret - maybe his family disapproved?
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Several times I have seen the same families enumerated twice on the same census (enumerator called at the back door as well as the front, maybe?) and it's amazing how often the number of children etc varies from one record to the other.

As Noah was a lodger, maybe his wife was with him, but just didn't get included on the census??

Comment

just a thought have you checked with just her initials? Maybe she was in some kind of hospital/sanitorum.
            Vikki -
            Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

thanks for all your replies
              Well he was a Romany Gypsy !!! and I have been in contact with somebody who has an aunt alive that remembers him well she knew who he lived with, another rellie and when and where he died .
              The contact and his family were suprised about the marriage when I told them.
              Maybe Elizabeth was pregnant married for the sake of respectability then left him ?? who knows with this wonderful imagination of mine LOL
              Vikki I did try with just the first names but not just initials so maybe I will thanks for that.

Comment

Maybe she married in haste and then lost the baby?

Comment

could be Merry , its certainly odd ,this is the girl who's sisters were taken into care by Dr barnados after their father died , her mother has another baby by another man , and cannot find her anywhere on the 1901 census either her or the baby ???
                  But I will get there I know I will.
                  Thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X