Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• birth cert help needed please

Hi;)

I got a part refund today for a birth cert I ordered.

It was for Robert Law bc 1854 Kelsall, Cheshire.

Father wasn't correct so refund issued.

Trouble is, I could only find one reg. so any advice as to where I go from here, would be gratefully received.

thanks very mcuh,
    treesa

Treesa

How do you know who the father is? He may not be who you think he is.

OC

Comment

Presume the person you are looking for is on the 1871 census as
      Robert Law, b c1853 Kelsall - working as a servant in Tarpoley
      RG10; Piece: 3715; Folio: 23; Page: 13

Have you found him in the 1861 census?
      Elaine

Comment

Some births weren't registered at all in those days, so it could be that this one wasn't. Or it could be that it was the right one but father's name is wrong (or just different) on the marriage certificate? Or could he have been born before his parents married, and therefore registered using his mother's maiden name? Or registered as Male Law if they hadn't chosen his name yet?
        Also, have you looked on Cheshire BMD in case it is on there?
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

OK - can see him in 1861 transcribed as Lawe
          living with mother Mary - widow
          RG9; Piece: 2628; Folio: 43; Page: 13;
          Elaine

Comment

What was the reference of the certificate you ordered?
            Elaine

Comment

Hi, marriage on IGI states Pekr, which I took for Peter, and worked back on census to find parents Peter and Mary together.

Comment

8a 406 1854 Wirral q1.

I couldn't find any ref for the reg district, so as this was the only obvious one I ordered it.

Comment

I would think you would be best to get a copy of the actual marriage cert instead of relying on the IGI especially since it seems that the name on the IGI is definitely mistranscribed!
                  KiteRunner

Comment

The registration district for Kelsall is Great Boughton.

I agree with Kate about getting the marriage certificate - but if you check the 1861 census, where he is living with widowed mother Mary, and trace that same family back to 1851, it would appear that his father was Peter. There is also a death with fits for Peter in 1860.

Having said that I cannot find a birth registration for Robert Law(e) either on freeBMD of CheshireBMD
                    Elaine

Comment

Theres this one from Cheshire bmd...

LAW Robert Birkenhead Wirral BIR/25/48 1854 same one?

]

Comment

Thanks for all your help. So even if I get the marr cert, there doesn't seem to be any reg for Robert's birth anyway, seeing as I have made a mistake with the only cert that seemed like the right one.

I will do that, as at least it will, hopefully, show Peter as his father on the marr cert. (Having said that I am hoping for no surprises!!)

thanks very much again, for your speedy replies,
                        regards,
                        treesa

Comment

What q was that one please?

Comment

Theres this marriage..LAW Peter LLOYD Mary Chester, St Oswald Cheshire West CE15/1/390 1842

Treesa, sorry but it doesn't give the quarter on CheshireBMD just the reference number.

]

Comment

If he had any brothers and sisters then you could try looking for their birth registrations instead.
                              KiteRunner

Comment

Hi, have looked at his siblings births and they all say Gt Boughton as reg. district. The were born before and after Robert, so you would think that he was b same district especially as he was born Kelsall too.

Comment

If you have him on the census with his parents, brothers and sisters, and if you get a birth cert for a younger sibling and for an older one and the parents are the same on both, then you should be safe to say that they are his parents too.
                                  KiteRunner

Comment

Yes, thanks very much for your help. shame there is no birth reg for Robert, makes you wonder why?

Comment

Make sure you check for other Law families living in the same reg district. Sometimes it turns out another family registered all their children whilst your own family didn't register any! (of course, it's always that way round!!)

Comment

Yes, thanks very much, don't want to make another mistake!!!

Comment

Working...
                                        X