if anyone has any spare time,a little help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• if anyone has any spare time,a little help please

Hi...just got back from Turkey this morning,and i met an "american Turk" and I said I would try and help him trace his Roots....his father was Robert Bruce MACDONALD.....he was born abt 1942,but not sure whether it was Scotland or America......his grandparents were..
    Oliver Macdonald b abt 1915 and his grandmother was Shirley...he thinks she was born in Ireland,but they married in Scotland.....so I`m going to start with Oliver Macdonald in Scotland....note its MAC and not Mc...he was very specific about this....if anyone would like to help in this challenge,it will be appreciated......thanks.........Allan:D
    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Allan, first can you just confirm that his father and grandparents are not still alive, please?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

HI Alan...will have a look for you...lol... Scotland's People isny playing at the mo...lol

researching Matchett, McFarland, Dick, Ewing, Koehler or Kohler, Nairn and Young.

Raven's Wiki Page
      Raven's Family Tree

Comment

Originally posted by garstonite View Post
        Oliver Macdonald b abt 1915 and his grandmother was Shirley...he thinks she was born in Ireland,but they married in Scotland.....so I`m going to start with Oliver Macdonald in Scotland
        Allan, you will be best to start with Robert, because if you start with Oliver then you could get the wrong person!
        KiteRunner

Comment

Allan, Scotland's People has BMD indexes for births and deaths going up to the present day (more or less) so you can search for Robert's birth on there -
          Official government source for Scottish genealogy, census and family research - ScotlandsPeople

But I don't think it will let you download his birth cert - there will be instructions on there about how to order a copy, though.
          KiteRunner

Comment

Scotland's people will only give the image for the birth if it is before 1908 To view you would have to either get the cert or get one of the Scots to have a wee shuffty at General Register House in Edinburgh... (costs £10 for a cert and takes up to 21 days)

also Marriages are only available upto 1932 online.
            Last edited by Raven; 20-06-08, 11:58.

researching Matchett, McFarland, Dick, Ewing, Koehler or Kohler, Nairn and Young.

Raven's Wiki Page
            Raven's Family Tree

Comment

thankyou all....yes ,he said his father is deceased..and grandparents....his mother was Turkish..her name was Canan Arslan...so its best looking for Robert Bruce MacDonald b abt 1942 first...what if he was born in America....???...allan
              Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire

Comment

Have had a quick look at births Allan and I canny see one

Raven's Wiki Page
                Raven's Family Tree

Comment

If I were you I would try looking at Scotland first, because it's easier. For America you would probably need to use ancestry.com but some states are coverered better than others on there.
                  KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by Raven View Post
                    Have had a quick look at births Allan and I canny see one
                    There are two births 1942-3 with the correct middle initial but not full middle name - does the index for that period definitely list full middle name, or only initial?
                    KiteRunner

Comment

Kite... I just put in the middle initial and I got those two....

ooohh SP is running really slow for me at the mo...

Raven's Wiki Page
                      Raven's Family Tree

Comment

Never mind, I've managed to guess the middle name for one of them and it isn't Bruce, and the other one starts with Bu - I don't want to put in the full names because they are probably still alive.
                        KiteRunner

Comment

okies

Raven's Wiki Page
                          Raven's Family Tree

Comment

How was the dentist, Allan???

Comment

hi merry...brilliant...i had 13 crowns and 2 fillings...£800....about £3000 in england...very happy...I look like mr ed now...lol...allan:D

Comment

Originally posted by garstonite View Post
                                hi merry...brilliant...i had 13 crowns and 2 fillings...£800....about £3000 in england...very happy...I look like mr ed now...lol...allan:D
                                Wow!! Well done!! You wouldn't get that lot for £3,000 where I live either! lol I'm in the middle of having one crown done, and that's about £350! Luckily I don't need any more at the mo......

And was the holiday part good too? How is Mrs Garstonite??

Comment

Ann had 17 crowns and 2 implants..£3000...she says about £8000 here...so she`s delighted.....she has an american film star smile now..ha ha...we spent most of the time back and forth to the dentist,,,and get this..an x ray was £15.......a bottle of wine was £17.50.....crazy....but we`re both happy and thats what matters...I`m 57 ,anns 56 so it was a stage in our life where we HAD to do something...but I would recommend anyone to go to Turkey for dental treatment...as they say.."cheap as chips"....allan:D:D:D

Comment

Working...
                                  X