Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• world vital records

morning all
    just checking my emails and have been invited to join World Vital records for £35.53. but I do not know much about this web site does anyone belong and is it worth joining especially as I have a sub with Ancestry.
    It does say German records are available and I am starting some work for a family member shortly and and will need to find out about german records. I have not had any dealings with records outside the Uk before so not sure where to start. The person I want to trace was born in Germany but moved to England married here and died here. But I will need to trace her birth and details about her parents any ideas please will be most welcome.
    GWEN

I don't think World Vital Records has very much coverage, to be honest - you would have to be very lucky to find enough stuff on there to justify paying that much. And I think nearly all their data is American.

Do you know whereabouts in Germany she was born? And do you / the person whose tree it is already have the English marriage certificate so that you have the name and occupation of the father? If you post up the details that you have so far then it might be easier to help.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

If you go to World Vital Records and click on 'View all datebases' at top left you can see exactly what records they have for any country.
      Try selecting England and then looking to see what they have for your favourite English counties - you'll soon decide whether a subscription is worthwhile or not.

Comment

Having had a look at World Vital Records, I see that you can do a free search for the name you are looking for and it will come back telling you how many matches it found in each of their databases. Some of the databases are free to view and some will ask you to subscribe when you click on them, so it would be a good idea to do the free search first and see if there are actually any likely-looking matches before paying them anything.
        KiteRunner

Comment

All I know so far as I've only just started this tree is her name is Freda Byron born 21/06/1924 Germany, Died Sept 1996, Wrekin Shropshire and she married, When ? James Vernon Blundell who died in 1985.
          Where do you look for German records? I have to go out now so will be back later.
          Thanks for the comments about World Vital records I think I was drawn to it by the words German records and having done a free search the only records that came up for Byron were American.
          GWEN

Comment

I would think the first thing to do is to go through the GRO marriage index to find her marriage to James and get their marriage certificate to find out who her father was.

Also, ask your contact for any other information they have at all, because German research is not going to be easy without more info - you can't go and look through a national BMD index and then order any certificates you need; you need to know where the birth, marriage or death took place and you need to prove your relationship to the person whose certificate it is. It is supposed to be easier to get copies of church register entries, though, but again, you would need to know where to start looking.

I was lucky because my granny had kept some certificates so we have some information from those which takes us back to the 19th century. Hopefully your relative can find some certificates filed away somewhere?

P.S. Her name would be spelt Frieda in German; not sure about Byron...
            KiteRunner

Comment

Ooh, I just realised - her death certificate should say where she was born, shouldn't it? Or does it just say "Germany"?
              KiteRunner

Comment

Just an observation, the name seems very British. Have you checked the consular births?
                Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

Thank for your comments Geordie Girl but where do you look for consular records.
                  Also Kite Runner, so Germany does not have a birth index like us to look at so where do you eventually search?
                  I will have to go back to my contact and see what more see knows they did say they think that their is a link to Lord Byron but I septical about that.
                  GWEN

Comment

If you can find out where she was born then you can write to the local 'Registry Office' or 'Standesamt' for her birth cert. I didn't have to prove my relationship to get my gran's birth certificate but it was over 100 years old so maybe that's why. It cost about 7 euros 3 or 4 years ago. If it's any help I have an application form in German - pm me if you ever need a copy.
                    CAROLE : "A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK"

Comment

thanks for that Taffy frog I might take you up on the offer when I have more details.
                      GWEN

Comment

This could just be a coincidence but there is a birth for a Freda Byron, Sep 1924, Prescot, 8b; 1322. MMN Davies

With her birth being the end of June she could very well be in the Sep quarter if registered early July.
                        Fiona. xx

Comment

It seems to be a very rare name, so it's hard to believe it could be a coincidence, don't you think? It will make your research a lot easier if that does turn out to be the right Freda!
                          KiteRunner

Comment

only just had time to come on to the computer had rellies staying. Thanks for the information about Freda I will look into that as you say it is a bit of a coincidence.
                            I will let you know if it proves to be her. A big thank you it will make the tree so much easier if it is.
                            GWEN

Comment

The Freda Byron birth shows up on Lancs BMD. Lancashire Births Marriages & Deaths

It's one of a number of births in the St Helens area for that surname.

If the family came from Germany, it may not always have been Byron, of course! There were times when it wasn't socially easy to have a German-sounding family name.

Christine
                              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Good thinking Christine. I have a German family in my tree who lived in Lancashire and changed their surname in 1915, and I found a notice of this in the London Gazette
                                Could be worth searching?
                                Sarah

Comment

Working...
                                X