Is this their sister?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this their sister?

I have a pic of my grandad, another of his younger brother. Also two pics of a lady who I was told was their sister. Is there a likeness and are the two pics of the woman the same person. Also when were they taken? The woman I mean.

Grandad

Grandads brother

the two pics of their sister?

Hi Margaret
    I'm not certain it's the same woman although the noses are very similar

'Grandad' reminds me of a young Prince Charles ... around the time he was made Prince of Wales

Had a look for the studios, which might have helped with dating them ... no luck

No wedding ring (pic 4) ... don't know if that helps at all

Last edited by Rachel Scand; 18-06-08, 22:43.
    ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Grandad's was taken in 1901/2 on his return from the Boar War age 18/19. He lied about his age to enlist.

His brothers was taken about 1912. He was 23, he died in 1915.

If the woman is the sister she was born in 1881.

Do you think they all have similar eyes?

Comment

Originally posted by Margaret in Burton View Post
        Do you think they all have similar eyes?
        I'd say yes ... definitely, but grandad's brother has different earlobes

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Just remembered, I have another one.

Is this the same woman or the mother?

Date idea anyone?

Comment

Rachel

A thought has struck that hadn't occured to me before. Instead of being their sister, was it their mother?

The younger women, when were they taken do you think?

The older woman, if its the same one was born in London. One of those photos was taken there I think.

Comment

Great photos Margaret ... you need Barbara and Don to look at the hair and costumes

I don't think the final pic is the same woman although she's very like no 4 .. it's difficult isn't it !

I'm going by the ears again and no 5 does look as if she has a longer earlobe ... (similar to grandad's brother)

Comment

Barbara's not online but Don is at the moment.

Coooeeeee Don ;)

Comment

I think the first woman in your post is their sister.

I think the second woman in your first post and the third woman are the same woman and is the mother of the two men and of the first woman.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

I've not looked at these in close-up but

the one of Grandad's brother (pic 2) says 'Hall and Stiggers, Keighley'

and I think pic 3 says 'USA Studios .. London W ?? Provincial Branches'

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Tom View Post
                      I think the second woman in your first post and the third woman are the same woman and is the mother of the two men and of the first woman.

EEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKK ! :D

too late for my brain cell ;)

Comment

I think the first woman you posted was taken c1905. I have this photo which was taken in 1905 just before this woman's wedding and the hair and dress are very similar.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

That was one of my thoughts Tom

I need them dating though really.

Comment

LOL Rachel

1, 2 and 3 are siblings.

4 and 5 is the mother of 1, 2 and 3.

Comment

I would date number 4 to before 1891 on account of the long sleeves and the very constrictive neckline. I have a photo taken in 1890-1891 but the sleeves are much shorter and the neckline isn't quite as high.

I would say early 1880s, and she doesn't look as though she has a wedding ring on. When did the mother of 1, 2 and 3 marry?

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel Scand View Post
                                I've not looked at these in close-up but

the one of Grandad's brother (pic 2) says 'Hall and Stiggers, Keighley'

and I think pic 3 says 'USA Studios .. London W ?? Provincial Branches'
                                Yes, that's right Rachel.

Don't know about Keighley, but grandads brother died in the Nottingham Isolation hospital in 1915 of Typhoid fever. His job was a boot boy at a hotel in Nottingham.

Comment

I would date number 4 to before 1891 on account of the long sleeves and the very constrictive neckline. I have a photo taken in 1890-1891 but the sleeves are much shorter and the neckline isn't quite as high.

I would say early 1880s, and she doesn't look as though she has a wedding ring on. When did the mother of 1, 2 and 3 marry?

Tom

Mother of them married in 1876 ( born in 1858) and died in 1903.

Daughter was born in 1881 and married in 1904.

Comment

This is the daughter taken with another brother in later life, in the late 1940's

Not too good a pic

Comment

Right, so it is likely the first woman was taken around 1904 before her wedding. check.

The second woman could have been taken in the mid 1870s but I am not sure and think we need to wait for don or Barbara really.

The last woman is wearing what looks to be a jet bib (or something similar) which is something popular in the 1890s. She might also be wearing leg of mutton sleeves, which if I am right dates it from 1897 to 1899.
                                      How old she is could be anyones guess and depends on what sort of life she has lead and how many children she had. I would have said at least 40.

Comment

Right, so it is likely the first woman was taken around 1904 before her wedding. check.

The second woman could have been taken in the mid 1870s but I am not sure and think we need to wait for don or Barbara really.

The last woman is wearing what looks to be a jet bib (or something similar) which is something popular in the 1890s. She might also be wearing leg of mutton sleeves, which if I am right dates it from 1897 to 1899.
                                        How old she is could be anyones guess and depends on what sort of life she has lead and how many children she had. I would have said at least 40.

She had 8 children and died in 1903 aged 45 of cancer of the uterus.
                                        Last edited by Margaret in Burton; 18-06-08, 23:31.

Comment

Working...
                                        X