Trying to find info on my g/father Hepburn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to find info on my g/father Hepburn

Have been hunting for some time now to find out more about my maternal grandfather: John Edgar Hepburn

John Edgar Hepburn (dob c1884) and my maternal g/mother Mary Gordon Campbell (dob 1895) had my mother, Mary (dob 1916), but didn't marry her. He died in 1942 In Balornock Rd, Glasgow, whilst living with his married sister, Margaret Affleck. He had a brother James and sisters: Eliza and Janet. All that much I have found out + where he was born, his mum and dad.

But I'd love to know if his sisters/brother had any family that I could make contact with to try to find out more about him. :(

Any help would be welcome. Thanks!
    Dorothy G

searching Gillett (Preston/Sheffield). Campbell and Hepburn in Glasgow

There's no such thing as a Free Lunch

Well you'd need to check for marriages for James, Eliza and Janet. Not sure how Scottish marriages are indexed, so cannot advise.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Hi Nell

Mmmm - I've tried to find sister Margaret (Affleck) on several occasions without success, so have no idea if she had children. Just seem to have gone round in circles. And know even less about the others.
      Dorothy G

Comment

Scotland's People now has birth and death indexes online up to 2006 (marriages only up to 1932 so far) but for those that are more recent than their limit for downloading, you have to order the certs. So if I were you, I would search the death indexes for the brother and the married sister, since you will know what surnames to search for in those two cases, and if you find their deaths, order the certs (assuming they are too recent for download!) then when they come, hopefully there will be some info on them that will give you some clues.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts and ideas KR.
          Dorothy G

Comment

If you were able to go to New Reg. House in Edinburgh - it's reasonably easy to trace living relatives. Especially if they have non common surnames like Affleck.

Jan

Comment

There is only one marriage for Margaret Hepburn to a ? Affleck it was in Rutherglen Glasgow in 1914.

Just worked out his first name was William
              Last edited by deletejb; 19-06-08, 22:11.

Comment

nudge for Dubonnet lady
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thank you Little Nell!! Hooray!

and a big thankyou to deletejb for that bit of info. Have sent you a pm.

Very grateful to you both!!
                  Dorothy G

Comment

Working...
                  X