Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

War deaths - where would they be registered?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• War deaths - where would they be registered?

Following on from James's thread yesterday -

Having found a couple of 'my lot' in the cwgc site, I've tried to find them on Ancestry's BMD registers, but can't see them.

One is from WW1 - Joseph Wynn, died March 1917 - not, as my elderly cousin thought, in SCarborough, but SCappa Flow... yes, easy mistake to make! - but I can't find his Death registration. I wanted to see if the family tale of death from meningitis is also an error. Would it have been registered in the Orkneys or in his home district of Basingstoke/Aldershot?

The other is WW2 - John Henry Banks, died March 1940 near Lille in France. Where would that be registered?

Or weren't military deaths registered in the same way?

Any knowledgable people out there? (I'll check back later this evening - going to be busy for a while, but I'll keep logged in for the next 5mins.)

Bee.
    Bee~~~fuddled.

Searching for BANKS, MILLER, MOULTON from Lancs and Cheshire; COX from Staffordshire and Birmingham;
    COX, HALL, LAMBDEN, WYNN, from Hants and Berks; SYMES (my mystery g'father!) from anywhere near Bournemouth.

WW1 and WW2 overseas military deaths can be found on FindMyPast (and some other pay per view sites) with the overseas records - they have their own section.

The Scappa Flow one should be registered in Scotland.

Comment

I've never seen a WW2 death cert, but I know many WW1 ones are not particularly helpful from a family history information point of view. Both the ones I have say place of death "France" and cause of death "war casualty".

Comment

You may find the 1940 death in the GRO ARMY DEATH INDICES that are available on
        Trace your ancestry and build a family tree by researching extensive birth records, census data, obituaries and more - over 5 billion records - start today!

It is pay to view

I'm no sure what it will tell you as the certificates I've had give very basic information.
        Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

If the WW1 was a War Death, then it will be registered as so.
          I've got my G Grandfathers death register, but I've forgotten how I got it (CRAFT Moment)

The document is entitled

Index to War Deaths
          1914-1921
          ARMY (other Ranks)
          and lists as follows
          NAME (Surname-Forename-Initial)
          RANK
          NUMBER
          UNIT
          YEAR
          VOL
          PAGE

If I can remember how I found it I'll post back

L

Comment

Was Joseph in the Army or Navy, as there are 2 registered for 1917 1 x army, 1 x Navy

Military Service
            Surname First Name(s) Rank or Rating Ship or Unit Military Number Year of Death Volume

Naval Ratings WYNN JOSEPH A. B. Anson.Battn.R.N.D. 1915 Vol:RN. Page:4365
            Naval Ratings WYNN JOSEPH Gnr. R. M. A. Malaya 1917 Vol:RN. Page:4365
            Army WYNN JOSEPH A. B. R.N.D. Z/494 1915 Vol:N.1 Page:283
            Army WYNN JOSEPH Pte. Y & L.R. 19005 1917 Vol:I.42 Page:270

Can't find owt for WW2

L
            Last edited by It_Is_I_Leclerc; 18-06-08, 19:16.

Comment

I have just found my Grandfather's death in the Overseas BMDs. I have all the details from the CWG, but once I have the info from "findmypast" where do I get the certificate from.
              Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

I've sent off to the GRO quoting Name Year Vol & Page number
                I'm hoping that will do the trick

L

Comment

You can order certificates from the GRO in the same way as you order any BMD certificate - you will see on the first page there is an option to select an Overseas certificate - seven pounds each.

The overseas index is also available on Family Relatives - where I think it is free to view.
                  Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                    The overseas index is also available on Family Relatives - where I think it is free to view.
                    Erm.....it used to be, but last time I tried (ages ago) it wasn't!

Comment

Umm - you're right! When did that change? :(
                      Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                        Umm - you're right! When did that change? :(
                        A random guess, six months ago.

Comment

Thanks for your replies - I knew some of you would know!

Naval Ratings WYNN JOSEPH Gnr. R. M. A. Malaya 1917 Vol:RN. Page:4365
                          This is the one, LeClerk.

Where did you get the reference? What do the vol and page no's relate to? (It looks like the usual BMD references, but I couldn't see it in Ancestry.)

[From this reference, it implies he died in Malaya, but the CWGC shows it was HMS 'Malaya'.]

Thanks Merry and Daphne, and Elaine.

Merry, where should I be looking on Ancestry for the Scotland registrations? (I'm blind, as well as daft,today!)

Wendy, what "Overseas BMDs" where you looking at? Where are they?

So do I just order from GRO online, and I get the reference from Findmypast pay-per-view, looking on the Overseas section? Have I got that right?

My elderly rellies will be so pleased if I can find this!

Bee.
                          Bee~~~fuddled.

Searching for BANKS, MILLER, MOULTON from Lancs and Cheshire; COX from Staffordshire and Birmingham;
                          COX, HALL, LAMBDEN, WYNN, from Hants and Berks; SYMES (my mystery g'father!) from anywhere near Bournemouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
                            Merry, where should I be looking on Ancestry for the Scotland registrations? (I'm blind, as well as daft,today!)
                            Erm.....................on Scotlands People, not Ancestry! lol

Comment

I looked on "findmypast" and eventually found him after wasting a few credits!!!
                              Wendy

Comment

Oh 'eck, Merry! That means I've got to break out of my 'comfort zone' and figure out the workings of a 'new' site! Wish me luck!:o

Ditto to Wendy!

Bee.
                                Bee~~~fuddled.

Comment

I can still use the familyrelatives overseas - free
                                  Jacky

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
                                    Thanks for your replies - I knew some of you would know!

This is the one, LeClerk.

Where did you get the reference? What do the vol and page no's relate to? (It looks like the usual BMD references, but I couldn't see it in Ancestry.)

[From this reference, it implies he died in Malaya, but the CWGC shows it was HMS 'Malaya'.]
                                    The overseas deaths are indexed differently.

It may just say "Malaya" because it's in an index of marine deaths.
                                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I just googled RMA Malaya and found this:

Its a list of war dead commemorated in Lyness Royal Naval Cemetery in the Orkneys. Joseph Wynn is mentioned on the last page.

Its a pdf so I can't copy it. Might be worth a little look-see. Says he died of Menigitis - son of Caroline and the late James. He was on board HMHS Agadir.
                                      Last edited by Helen Smith Too; 19-06-08, 13:18.
                                      Helen

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...enSmithToo-296

Comment

Originally posted by Helen Smith Too View Post
                                        I just googled RMA Malaya and found this:

www.scapaflow.co.uk/C'wealthWarDead1914-1918.pdf

Its a list of war dead commemorated in Lyness Royal Naval Cemetery in the Orkneys. Joseph Wynn is mentioned on the last page.

Its a pdf so I can't copy it. Might be worth a little look-see. Says he died of Menigitis - son of Caroline and the late James. He was on board HMHS Agadir.
                                        You don't need to copy it, just save it to your desktop and then it will open in Adobe Reader.
                                        Wendy

Comment

Working...
                                        X