Got my Dr Barnados photos at last

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got my Dr Barnados photos at last

May be the wrong board ??? but thought it may interest people researching Barnados children
    Shame about their hair though.
    This was in 1899
    Last edited by Guest; 18-06-08, 12:20.

val ...3 of my sisters were in dr barnardo,s in the 1947 would there be pictures of them

Comment

Brenda I would have thought so
      I only got these because I wrote asking about their records ,they would not tell me much as they could have got married and the children might not have known about their past.
      I casually said it would have been nice to have some photos and they agreed to send them £10 for the 3 which I think is very reasonable.
      If i was you I'd ask .

Comment

i have just googled,my sisters,(3)were in leeds barnardo,s home for 3 years as we were all living in a one room in a big house there was 8 of us.they said it was not a nice place,they changed there names while they were in there so i beleive it was catholic run as they were given bibical names while they were there.brenda xxx

Comment

Val

Congratulations on getting these outstanding photos. Just shows what you can get when you ask.

Brenmac

Are you sure yours were in a Barnadoes Orphanage? If there was a Catholic nun involved then they were more likely to have been in a Catholic Orphanage, possibly run by the Sisters of Mercy? Barnadoes were C of E run orphanages and unlikely to be employing RC nuns.

Janet

Comment

Brenda mine were in what was called The Village in Ilford , if I was you I'd write to Barnados or email them first
            Janet yes I am so pleased now I pursued it further, and Rose married twice had at least two children and lived to be 101 !!

oops got over excited then, meant to say Rose not Daisy
            Last edited by Guest; 18-06-08, 13:44.

Comment

What a delight! well done for following it all up.

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Christine I asked for these in February !!! and they were having the scanners updated so I am delighted to at last have received them, and they have told me if anybody else gets in touch with them about the girls they will forward the info to me !!! isnt that great????

Comment

Wow what a lovely find. They look quite sad though - presumably they'd had their hair cut off and those dresses don't look very comfortable. At least they haven't been forgotten.

Does this make up for the disappointment about the army records?

Jackie
                  Jackie

Comment

Great news Val
                    PAT

Comment

Val I AM impressed!
                      Especially as my Great Uncle was one of the few to be refused by Barnardo's ... alledgedly ;)
                      (Thinks - did they take his picture before rejecting him?)
                      Bridget

Comment

thanks val,i emailed them and i have had a response and they are going to let me know,brenda xxx

Comment

I thought that too how sad they look their eyes look empty , to lose their dad then be taken from their mum in such a short time must have been heartbreaking.
                          Yes it does sort of make up for the army records .
                          Good luck Brenda keep us informed wont you ????

Comment

will do here,s hoping....brenda xxx

Comment

They do look a bit blank - but don't forget that, with the long exposures needed, people weren't encouraged to smile for photos because they'd have got face-ache!

Christine
                              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

How lovely, Val - and very reasonable cost, too.

I had to pay £100, but that was for the search, and then to gather together all the info from UK and Canada.

But it was so nice - and very moving - to see pictures of my Dad when he was a young boy! And I could see a particular family likeness to my brother at that age. All gone now, sadly.

Brenda, good luck, and do let us know how you get on.

Bee.
                                Bee~~~fuddled.

Searching for BANKS, MILLER, MOULTON from Lancs and Cheshire; COX from Staffordshire and Birmingham;
                                COX, HALL, LAMBDEN, WYNN, from Hants and Berks; SYMES (my mystery g'father!) from anywhere near Bournemouth.

Comment

i will brenda xxx

Comment

Working...
                                  X