Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Missing Grandparents may have been found!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing Grandparents may have been found!

Having been on this site a couple of weeks ago bemoaning the fact I could not find my grandparents' marriage, I now think that after 20+ years of searching, that they have at last surfaced, not abroad, but under my nose! However, if they are the ones, and I now eagerly await arrival of said certificate, there is a salutory lesson to be learnt, to not just look 10 years on either side of children but to keep looking! In this case first child was born 1901 in London, last child born 1910 in Plymouth and marriage took place in Plymouth in 1923!!! Why?? So clear up one mystery and create another! In the old days I trawled St Catherines House and FRC indexes from 1895 to 1911 so many times, wasting so much time, without any luck, but the advent of Free BMD and now going to 1929 found them for me. A query on Free BMD had me sending a note to the person who transcribed them and he came back with the detail that was missing and now I just have to wait patiently for said certificate! Which will arrive first, our second grandchild or the marriage certificate! What a wonderful site Free BMD is.

Well done, Janet!
    Freebmd has thrown up bigamies and all sorts of oddities in my tree.

I don't know the ages of your couple, but perhaps they married for a pension? A friend has rellies who married some forty years after children were born and only because Lloyd George brought in the Old Age Pension.
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Well done Janet, It does pay to keep looking. Good advise.

Good luck with the cert and congrats on the new babe,,,when it comes

]

Comment

Phoenix

Couple were 55 and 57 when they eventually tied the knot in 1923, and it did not last long then, because John walked out on family in 1929 went to Glasgow and died 1933! No rhyme nor reason, unless the cert shows me something different! I will just have to wait very patiently, gnawing my fingers!

Northern Light

Thanks

Janet
        Last edited by Janet; 18-06-08, 12:18.

Comment

brilliant news !!

Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Just remember to share the info on the cert when you get it!
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Janet....................I searched for years for my grandparents' marriage. My grandmother had been previously married and divorced , so we thought maybe they'd never married. Mum was born in 1928 and we certainly couldn't find anything prior to that.

Eventually I found their marriage in another state in 1955. My uncle remembers them going for a holiday just before I was born, but had no idea they'd married then. He had no idea they weren't married anyway.

Obviously they decided to marry before the first grandchild was born........or they needed a marriage cert to get the old age pension as a couple!!!

Comment

Working...
              X