Argentina (mid-1800s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Argentina (mid-1800s)

I have a man who emigrated to Argentina about 1855 and appears to have made his pile from sheep farming, married and had a child there, before setting up as a landed gent near Bath by 1881. I can't see him after 1841 or before 1881 and his wife seems to have died abroad. I don't have her first name.

What looks like their son (from his middle name) appears at the family manse in Scotland in 1871 as a grandson aged 10 born in Buenos Aires. A lot of my data about the family came from the Fasti Eccesiae Scotinaceae, which someone on Scottish family Tree Forum looked up for me some time ago.

Has anyone else had anything similar?
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Stand easy! I hit pay-dirt after about half an hour's googling. I found a family tree for the wife's family (McClymont). The marriage and birth are on it. Now off to see if the other 2 children made it back to the UK.

Comment

Might be worth looking here as well:

British Settlers in Argentina in past years: their names collected from church records, census returns and other documents

Comment

Oo-err missis! What a cornucopia, Mary. The grandson who appeared in 1871 went back to Argentina, married and had 3 children, one named after his father. And I found another marriage for which I had the names but no location.

Thanks very much for the lead.

The grandson's sisters turned up in a boarding school in Hampshire in 1881 but I don't know where they went after that.

All very exciting, just a pity they're not my direct rellies!
        Last edited by Uncle John; 18-06-08, 09:15.

Comment

Working...
        X