Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone help date this photo please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone help date this photo please?

Can anyone date this photo please? I am hoping it is around 1904.

Thanks!

Joanie

Can't help with the exact date but I found this information on the Photographer John James Avery

photoLondon: person details for 19th Century Photographers Database.

Sadly there is no date for his time in Harrow.
    Vikki -
    Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

In 1901 John J Avery is living in Hackney and is a photographic artist:

Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 222; Folio: 87; Page: 65

So, I would say it was after then. I would think it would be around about 1905; I have a photo of a wedding from 1908 and all the men have top hats (none of my other wedding photos do) and the woman has got gloves on as well (again, in some of my earlier weddings but not later ones).

Don't know if it is just me, or just the way the dress falls..... but could the bride be pregnant?

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

There J H Avery (Technical Photographers) listed in the phone directories (Ancestry) but not at that address ... and 1909 looks like the earliest .... he's at Parkhurst Rd, Camden from that time

Can't think where else to look ... tried googling

Where's Barbara ? :(

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Someone call...?

Nice picture, looking at the dress, and bearing in mind the definition is not good. The dress seems to have a pouter pigeon waist, this puts it pre 1910 as it went out of fashion then. If you were to say somewhere about 1902 to 1904 I wouldn't argue....;)

Comment

Oooo thanks for the link that is great!!

You old cynic Tom ! Lol !

If it is my great Uncle Sam & his wife Edie, there is a marriage for a Samuel & Edith in 1904 Dec Q that would fit perfectly !

I did wonder about her rather voluminous dress, but according to my aunt, they never had any children.

Thanks everyone

;)

Joanie

Comment

Originally posted by Joan of Archives View Post
              Oooo thanks for the link that is great!!

You old cynic Tom ! Lol !

I did wonder about her rather voluminous dress, but according to my aunt, they never had any children.

None that anyone knew about.....

LOL... the more I look at it the more it does look like she is "with child" but I suppose it could be the dress?

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

could be a little later because of his shoes,wonder why she has no flowers could it be because of the war 1914?my hubby has the same hair style never changed brenda xxx
                Last edited by Guest; 18-06-08, 19:51.

Comment

His ring looks as if it has a stone in it ... there's the appearance of a sparkle

Last edited by Rachel Scand; 18-06-08, 19:05.
                  ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Thanks Rachel, I never noticed that before!

I made a mess of cleaning the photo up; in the original she is actually holding a little prayer book I assume in her left hand.

:o

Joanie

Comment

Originally posted by Joan of Archives View Post
                      Thanks Rachel, I never noticed that before!

I made a mess of cleaning the photo up; in the original she is actually holding a little prayer book I assume in her left hand.

:o
                      erm .. do you mean this is not the original ?
                      I was wondering where her hand had gone ....

oh goodness ... is that streak on the photograph the result of a wipe with something ? :(

Do you have another copy with her hand still intact ?

Comment

Working...
                      X