help with WW1 Naval Record form please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with WW1 Naval Record form please

Thanks to Night Owl I have found a Naval record for my Wrightson chappy, but am a bit puzzled and wonder if anyone can help me.

On the form, there is a heading which reads "ships etc. served in", then there is "list", then "No."

Under this heading is the following:

Pembroke 11 (that should have a little top and bottom to show that it's 2)
    Gibralta
    Pembroke 11
    Aclason (I think, hard to read)
    Victory ( ditto)
    Heela

I assumed that they were WW1 naval ships, but the only one listed is Gibralta, which seems strange. Also, the dates listed alongside, all run concurrently, i.e., there are no gaps for a day or two on shore which means that he would have leapt from one ship to another!!

So what I am trying to find out, in a rambling sort of way, is whether the list above are not ships at all, but ports - in which case does the "No." refer to the ship?????:o
    Sally - Researching amongst others, JOSEPHY; WRIGHTSON; COOPER; GLOVER; DOWNING AND DICKINSON.

They are ships or shore establishments, and he would have been transferred from one ship to another. The number helps you find him in the establishment books. These are great fun. They will have the same personal description, but usually with more details: like whether he was innoculated for smallpox etc. They will also give details of pay.

Use the TNA site. Search the catalogue for the ships for the precise years he was on board and see what survives. The log books won't mention him by name, but will tell you where he went and what in general terms was happening on the ship.
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Ooh, I KNEW buying "Ships of the Royal Navy" was a good thing! It isn't Heela, but Hecla.

I'm working on Aclason!
      Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Oh thank you Phoenix - I was becoming more and more confused!! I have found Gibralta, but none of the others. The timescale was November 1915 to March 1919 and I will go back to the National Archives and see what I can find, because as you say finding out where he went and what for will be interesting.

Thank you again
        Sally - Researching amongst others, JOSEPHY; WRIGHTSON; COOPER; GLOVER; DOWNING AND DICKINSON.

Comment

I think that other ship must be Actaeon. It looks as if it was a hulk in Portsmouth Dockyard.

Comment

WOW - Phoenix you are a star!! Yes, looking at it again it is Hecla. I will have another look at the other one

and yes once more - I blew the form up as far as I could and that's right on - Actaeon...........

Thank you so much

Comment

HMS Victory should be at Portsmouth as well it was Admiral Nelson's ship
              Last edited by James; 17-06-08, 22:25.

Comment

The Catalogue has a Pembroke Sloop and a Pembroke gunboat for the period. If you ignore the ii, that should bring up all the details. (and put ADM in the bottom box, to avoid references to Wales!)

Comment

Thank you James - I now have so much more to go on, and with increased confidence!!

Comment

TNA at Kew has ships musters which give useful info about people - age, DoB, PoB when they joined up, for instance, as well as other info.

OH's ancestor was in the crew of Victory in Feb 1829 (or thereabouts) when he was married. The ship's muster told me that, even tho' the only likely baptism in 1800 for him was in Portsea, he was born in York! It also listed prize money, and how it was shared out.

I have others to follow up in time.

Christine
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

HMS Victory is the barracks at Portsmouth and HMS Pembroke the barracks at Chatham but whether they were actual ships in WWI is another matter. Friend of mine was on HMS Victorious post WW2 which was a ship.

Have a look on here ships and establishments in WW2 are listed

NAVAL-HISTORY.NET
                      Last edited by JBee; 17-06-08, 23:54.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

HMS Victory is a wooden ship and survives in dry dock, and can be viewed at Portsmouth, so it was probably the barracks he was in.

Comment

Working...
                        X