Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new with a few questions ( name changes etc)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new with a few questions ( name changes etc)

Hello
    i'm new here so forgive me if I seem a bit confused ,lol

we have been trying to find my great grandmother but there is no trace of her at all before she married in 1900. So I wondered if perhaps she had changed her name ?
    we know her as laura dale barton & I thought perhaps she had a foreign name perhaps "de" something & changed it to fit in more ?
    Was that something people did then ? & why

I am also looking for information on an artist called edward pritchett.The biography's I can find dont mention his d,o,b or anything about him apart from he was quite famous at the time & had his own art school

My great great grandad has the same name & was listed on the census as a landscape artist. I am an artist myself so thats something I would like to look into

thanks for any help

angela

Angela

First of all, hallo and welcome. We're quite friendly on here, so don't worry.

Have you got Laura's marriage cert, and if so, who does she name as her father and what was his occupation? How old was she at the time of the marriage?
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Edward Pritchett is mentioned as being active 1828-1864, so I'll see if I can find him (and hopefully a birth date and place) on the census.

Comment

Found this:

Edward Pritchett
        Biography
        Details of Edward Pritchett’s life have proved difficult to secure. However he left behind a considerable body of work. He was clearly an ardent admirer of the ancient and beautiful Italian city of Venice and it is this great city, the source of inspiration to so many of his European contemporaries who settled and worked there, that we find the vast portion of his oeuvre.

~ from Edward Pritchett - Available At Haynes Fine Art of Broadway Art Gallery

Maybe Edward Pritchett was a pseudonym?

Comment

1861 census
          RG9; Piece: 379; Folio: 111; Page: 33;

Edward Pritchett, born c1809 Northamptonshire, living in Camberwell
          Occuption: Artist Landscape Painter
          Elaine

Comment

Hi Angela

Welcome to the site.

Can I ask was Laura Barton her maiden name or her married name?
            Vikki -
            Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

Hello
              barton was her maiden name she married samuel simkins jackson
              we've just ordered the marriage certificate. I think she was 19 when she married.

someone mentioned that she & her husband met in an orphanage in newcastle.
              But another relative said they saw a photo of her as a teenager with her father. so we arn't sure about that
              Last edited by angelaturner; 17-06-08, 18:33.

Comment

Elaine

Well done!

Comment

If you tell us who she married, we can probably find them on 1901 census which would give Laura's age and birthplace.

Comment

Who do you believe she married?

maybe we can find her on the 1901 census and work back from there

EDIT - Snap Nell
                    Vikki -

Comment

Hi Angela

Have you looked for Laura on the 1901 census yet?

That is the place to start, as it will give you a birthplace and a date of birth. Neither may be entirely accurate, but they will provide clues.

The marriage certificate will hopefully have given you her father's name, so you can search for her with her parents in an earlier census.

When you cannot find someone on a census, this is usually because the name has been mistranscribed.

As regards Edward, do you KNOW he is an ancestor, or are you interested in his life? If he enjoyed painting Venice, he may well have lived abroad for a period: possibly marrying and dying there.
                      Phoenix - with charred feathers
                      Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                        If you tell us who she married, we can probably find them on 1901 census which would give Laura's age and birthplace.
                        She married samuel simkins jackson.
                        They moved around the country a lot so its made things more difficult

Comment

I presume she married Samuel Jackson and they are here in 1901
                          RG13; Piece: 3158; Folio: 38; Page: 12

living in Notts, Laura D. Jackson aged 19, born in 1882 in Middlesbrough, Durham.

Comment

ok in 1901 she is showing
                            PoB Middlesborough, Durham
                            DoB 1882

EDIT - Nell Stop It!!!! lol
                            Vikki -

Comment

OK, no Laura D. Barton born 1882 in Durham on birth index.

But if she was an orphan, she may have been given a different name, or been born in another place (though she may have assumed she was born in Durham). As she was born 1882, she will only appear on one previous census, so that's trickier.

These are 2 Laura Barton births in 1882 though they are probably both wrong:

Laura Barton 1882 Jan-Feb-Mar Dewsbury
                              Laura Rose H Barton 1882 Jul-Aug-Sep Banbury

Comment

Originally posted by vikki brace View Post
                                ok in 1901 she is showing
                                PoB Middlesborough, Durham
                                DoB 1882

EDIT - Nell Stop It!!!! lol

oooh thankyou :D
                                my mother just got off the phone to her cousin who suddenly remembered that laura dales father had left her to be a plastic surgeon in canada , so perhaps thats how she ended up in an orphanage ?
                                ( my grandad did go on about his grandfather having a false nose but we thought he was just mad )

the plot thickens ,lol
                                Last edited by angelaturner; 17-06-08, 18:45.

Comment

Vikki - lol!

Cannot find any Laura born Middlesbrough 1881-3 in 1891.

Comment

This may prove useful - but I can't bring it up as a hit yet, so it may not have been transcribed:
                                    Tees Valley Indexes - Register of Births, Deaths & Marriages.

Christine
                                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I don't know if these are red herrings but there are 2 Sarah Dale Bartons registered in Durham in 1857 and 1858.......

possibly a family name?
                                      Vikki -

Comment

Just wondering if she was really Laura Dale or Laura Barton or if Dale was a middle name that might be a clue to her parentage.

Comment

Working...
                                        X