Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Errant Grandfather: marriage licence 1937...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Errant Grandfather: marriage licence 1937...

The awaited marriage licence copies have arrived from Tennessee. :D
    I make that just under a fortnight for my letter to get there, the transaction to be processed, and the package to be sent back here to UK. Not bad!

Marriage 25 Nov 1937 Sullivan County, Tennessee
    Leonard Keith BENNETT, age "34" (3 is definite, 4 is possible - script a bit tricky)
    Edith Louise FIHUARY (the I could be an E, the H could be a B, but there doesn't seem to be a space for an extra R to make it February)

Note that LKB's age ("34", but registered b 6 March 1887) is consistent with his younger option of 1893 - but with another ten years chopped off. He appears to have been even more flexible about his age than I'd thought! ;) Added later: I have tried to think of mitigating circumstances for his desertion of the English family, but it's hard to think of anything much good about claiming to be 34 to marry a 19-year-old when you're actually 50. :(
    ELF's age (19) is another bit younger than she's described as in his naturalization docs (b 22 Dec 1915, "Dant", VA - presumed to be Dante in western Virginia).

The marriage looks like a dash across the State boundary. What were the "without parental consent" ages in the respective States? anyone know?

Allowing that this may not have been a long-term relationship, and in the absence of a SSDI entry for an Edith L Bennett... I've found (amongst other less promising ones) a SSDI entry for an Edith L ERWIN b 22 Dec 1917; d May 1994; 37620 (Bristol, Sullivan, TN); 37620 (Bristol, Sullivan, TN); 225-03-1296; Virginia

I'd really like to trace Edith in an earlier census or something, but don't have world membership. Does anyone have alternative suggestions? - Including what that surname could be.

I'll be googling and experimenting, in the meantime.

Christine
    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 18-06-08, 17:12.
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Fihuary doesn't sound likely, but I can't think of alternatives that would fit.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Talking it over with OH, we wondered whether it could be a transliteration of an Irish name which might normally appear in a different form - e.g. FURY.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Flaherty?

Comment

I hope I have attached images of the two names on the two parts of the documentation, so that you can see what I mean...

Christine
          Attached Files

Comment

Finlay?

Jackie
            Jackie

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions - it all helps.

I've tried to impose Flaherty and Finlay onto the shape, but it doesn't work for me! Hopefully, one of your ideas will either be the right one, or will trigger something useful in my own thoughts.

Christine

Comment

I think it is definitely Fi (compare the i in Edith and e in Bennett) and then h and then it looks like is or es ery ( or possibly ssy with a blob in the middle).

Comment

I suspect that my only hope is to trace her in the 1930 census! - If/when I get the chance.

The trouble is that, while most of the "e" appearances have loops, there are some without. Did you look at both images? - do they both show?

Christine

Comment

There does seem to be a name FEBRUARY - with variants, of course.

Perhaps that really was her name. It ought to make her easier to find - and her family - but experience suggests that the more unusual the name, the more likely it is to have been mistranscribed!

I begin to favour that tall middle letter being a "b" of the open type because the first version comes right back up and close to the tall stroke before its link (horizontal) to the next letter, while the second version is more open. Also, I didn't want to make the attachment too big, so you can't see the court clerk's name of Copenhavn, and which could be in the same script - the "h" is sufficiently different from that tall letter to suggest it isn't the same one.

Christine
                    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 17-06-08, 18:29.

Comment

I'm going to bump his up, just in case there's anyone with access to any relevant database to help out with my queries.

Christine

Comment

Hi Christine

1920 census McElroy, Tyler County, West Virginia

Joseph S Fluharty Head 37
                        Lulu A Wife 30
                        Cecil D Son 9
                        Hellen E Dau 7
                        Edith L Dau 5
                        Evlyn S Dau 1 1/2

All born West Virginia, as were Joseph & Lulu's parents.

Joseph was a tool presser at a Gas Co.

Cheers

Jay
                        Last edited by JayG; 18-06-08, 21:03.
                        Jay

Comment

1910 census McElroy, Tyler County, West Virginia

Joseph Fluharty Head 28 married for 0 years driller at oilfield
                          Lulu Fluharty Wife married for 0 years 0 children

US WW2 Draft Reg. 1942

Joseph Samuel Fluharty
                          Born 13/3/1882 Piney, West Virginia
                          Residence Tyler, West Virginia
                          Jay

Comment

Both Joseph & Lulu's deaths appear here in this BMD index

West Virginia Vital Research Records - Select Search Type

With copies of their death certs too!
                            Jay

Comment

1930 census McElroy, Tyler County, West Virginia

Joseph S Flaharty 47 Cle*** Oil Field
                              Lulu A Flaharty 40
                              Cecil B Flaharty 19 labor farm
                              Helen E Flaharty 18
                              Edith L Flaharty 15
                              Elouise E Flaharty 11
                              Billie E Flaharty 8
                              Betty J Flaharty 6
                              Warren Flaharty 5
                              Imogene Flaharty 2 years 8 months
                              Jay

Comment

Don't forget you can buy pay-as-you-go credits to view "premium" records on ancestry - i.e. if you have a UK sub but you want to view a few US records.
                                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thank you, everyone. That's very helpful.

So it looks pretty definite that the name was supposed to be Flaherty!

Thanks for the tip, Kite. I've started to go along that route once or twice and then chickened out because it all seemed very complicated and looked as if I might not have that option. Perhaps I should have another go.

Thanks you all very much.

Christine

Comment

Well, I have bought those premium credits a couple of times in the past and it all seemed to work very smoothly. It asks you to confirm that you want to use a credit each time you click to view something, so they don't get eaten up by mistake. I do hope they're still available!
                                    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                                    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by JayG View Post
                                      Both Joseph & Lulu's deaths appear here in this BMD index

West Virginia Vital Research Records - Select Search Type

With copies of their death certs too!
                                      Thank you for that link, Jay! It's a real goodie, even if it isn't my own family!

Christine

Comment

This is why I find the Ancestry options confusing...

When I go from My Account page to look at potential upgrades etc, this is some of the info I get for PPV:
                                        Search any historical records on the Ancestry website.
                                        View records from any of our databases.
                                        and
                                        You can apply 100% of your Pay-Per-View purchase toward a paid membership on Ancestry.co.uk at any time before your Pay-Per-View account expires. This discount does not apply to purchases made with vouchers.
                                        Pay-Per-View is the least expensive way to view the largest variety of data. It's also a great way to familiarise yourself with Ancestry.co.uk before moving on to a full membership.
                                        and
                                        One credit allows you to view one record from any Ancestry.co.uk database.
                                        But I have full membership of .co.uk??

Christine

Comment

Working...
                                        X