Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mayor of Islington

Can you help me?

Family rumour has it that George Elliott, mayor of Islington 1902-3, 1906-7, 1918-19, was a relation. My g g grandparents were Caroline and George Augustus Elliott. My fathers cousin remembers being taken to see the bust that stands in the hall of Islington Town hall, I am really struggling to find anything except an article from Islington council to do with him kicking a journalist out at the opening of Isl library!!!!

Does anyone know how I would find out more about him?
    Your help would be very gratefully received.

Tracey

There's a death notice in The Times which says:

May 6th 1925

ELLIOTT On the 4th May 1925 at "Chalk Pit", Maidenhead, suddenly, Sir George Samuel Elliott, 33 times Mayor of Islington. Service Friday at the Parish Church, Upper Street, Islington at 12.30pm. Interrment Abney park Cemetery, at 1.15pm.

33 times sounds ridiculous, but that is what it appears to say! Maybe the type setter had had one too many?

Comment

Here's his obit, in the paper the same day:

6th May 1925.jpg

Comment

His death reg gives his age:

Elliott George S aged 78 Maidenhead 2c 455 (1925 Q2)

Comment

Possible?

Births Mar 1847
          Elliott George Samuel Islington 3 250

Comment

Marriage:

Marriages Dec 1868
            Elliott George Samuel Islington 1b 417 <<<<<<<<<<<<
            Hellier Elizabeth Frances Islington 1b 417 <<<<<<<<<<<<<
            Hicks Jane Ann Islington 1b 417
            Sambell John Wills Islington 1b 417

Comment

In 1851 he has two siblings and a mum, but no father at home and Ancestry won't let me view the image :(

HO107; Piece: 1499; Folio: 383; Page: 35

Comment

In 1861 he has a dad, but no mum!

Dad is William b abt 1817 in Lambeth. Can't view the image again :(

RG9; Piece: 125; Folio: 4; Page: 4

Comment

Thank you Merry, I've been looking for something for about 4 hours!!! In that article it says 13 years which is more in line with the dates in office we have. I think it is going to be hard going to get a link, but this gives me something to start with to go backwards.
                  Tracey

Comment

wow
                    Thank you, the Elliotts I want to try to link to are George Augustus Elliott b May 1790 parents Robert and Mary.

I don't think it is the same family, well maybe very distant, but family elders seem adamant they were taken to viewings!!

Tracey

Comment

This is the only census I can show you him on!

George S. ELLIOTT Head M 34 London N, MiddlesexCook & Confect
                      Elizth.F. ELLIOTT Wife M 34 Upettery, Devon Cook & Confect Wife
                      Wm. ELLIOTT Son 10 Holborn, Middlesex Scholar
                      Fredr. ELLIOTT Son 4 Islington, Middlesex
                      Amy Flora ELLIOTT Daur 1 Islington, Middlesex
                      Mary ELLIS Other U 29 St Lukes, Middlesex (Confec) Shop Woman
                      Ellen TRINDER Other U 28 Paddington, Middlesex (Confec) Shop Woman
                      Maria WAITE Other U 26 Clerkenwell, Middlesex (Confec) Shop Woman
                      Emma BASETT Serv 33 Mortiford, HerefordServt
                      Jane HALL Nurse W 35 Fulham, Middlesex (SMS) Nurse
                      John MORTON Other 16 Islington, Middlesex Confectioners Apprentice
                      Ernest RICHARDSON Other 15 Ealing, Middlesex Shop Boy

at 14 Upper St Islington.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbabes View Post
                        wow
                        Thank you, the Elliotts I want to try to link to are George Augustus Elliott b May 1790 parents Robert and Mary.

I don't think it is the same family, well maybe very distant, but family elders seem adamant they were taken to viewings!!

Tracey

That may have been just because he was called Elliott, like my mother who always bought me Clarks shoes because that's her maiden name, and we are probably related. We aren't!! lol
                        Last edited by Merry Monty Montgomery; 16-06-08, 23:00.

Comment

Absolutely, family folk lore where would we be without it!

Probably almost sane!!

Thanks you have been a fantastic help

Tracey

Comment

Abney Park Cemetery where the Mayor was buried, is in Stoke Newington Church Street. My Dad was born at no. 165, above the picture framer's shop his father ran. Almost opposite is the library where they used to have framed portraits of all the mayors of Stoke Newington, and it was my grandfather's proud boast that he'd framed all the mayors!

Or so my Dad says. No idea if it was true.
                            ~ with love from Little Nell~
                            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Further info. about Abney Park cemetery (you will find it online as well). It was privately owned and the cemetery company went bust about 30 years ago. It is now a public park run by the Abney Park Trust. They do have records of who was buried where but they make a charge for the information. My cousin went there last year and was told her ancestor (no headstone) who was buried there about 1900 had been relocated.
                              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks guys, I am familiar with Abney Park cemetery have quite a few other relations buried there, unless they have been relocated!. i wonder if they do a bulk discount LOL

Comment

There might be something about him in Who was Who, as he was a Sir. Most big reference libraries are likely to have a copy. He would be in the volume covering his date of death if so.

Roger

Comment

Working...
                                  X