Where the flip is he??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where the flip is he??

I have been searching and searching for Charles William Wrightson, born 1879 in Danby Wiske, Northallerton, Yorkshire.
    I have him in 1881 in Danby Wiske, and in 1891 in Manfield, Nr. Darlington, still living with his parents of course aged 12. After that I am stumped. There is no death for at least the next 20 years and I couldn't find him in military records on Find my past.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated
    Sally - Researching amongst others, JOSEPHY; WRIGHTSON; COOPER; GLOVER; DOWNING AND DICKINSON.

Have you looked in the emigration records on FMP?

I had a family which appeared to have evaporated after about 1871: no marriages, no deaths, no appearances in censuses, no appearances in historical directories. Fortunately there was a GoONS member I could ask. It turned out they'd emigrated to Australia.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thank you Christine - I couldn't find him on there. What is strange is that my father who is still going strong at 93, clearly remembers all his Aunts but not this chap who was the only son, which makes me wonder if he died - but as I said, I have trawled the death indexes with no success
      Sally - Researching amongst others, JOSEPHY; WRIGHTSON; COOPER; GLOVER; DOWNING AND DICKINSON.

Comment

There's a WW1 Medal Card for a Charles W Wrightson ... Royal Field Artillery ... but the image will not appear and I don't think that would give any useful information anyway

Regiment no. 202086
        ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

I saw that Rachel, and the area was Leeds wasn't it which would have been right for Charles. I couldn't get to the image either, but if there is nothing to be gained from it then it doesn't really matter.

So perhaps he joined the Army when he was about 19 or 20 and was abroad for the following censuses? He wasn't killed in WW1 cos I checked those

Comment

On the TNA site there is an entry in the Register of Seamen's Services For Charles William Wrightson 10 May 1878 (I think that's the dob) place of birth Danby Wiske.

Jackie
            Jackie

Comment

Oooh - Night Owl that sounds like him, right date of birth anyway, and also place of birth. What is the TNA please?
              Last edited by sally; 17-06-08, 12:53.

Comment

Sorry I should have said. The National Archives. I used the search box in the Documents Online bit

The National Archives | DocumentsOnline | Welcome

Jackie
                Jackie

Comment

Thank you thank you thank you Night Owl!! When I looked before on there, I clearly put in too much info and got no results, but did it again and persevered knowing that you had found something, and bingo. Have bought and downloaded the document, and it is wonderful - I keep reading it and re-reading it!!!
                  Thank you again

Comment

You're welcome. I've got some merchant seamen in my tree and have been able to find loads of stuff out about them - I'm sure I read somewhere that more things are coming on line at some stage.

Jackie
                    Jackie

Comment

Working...
                    X