Where are they hiding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where are they hiding?

My long search for a maternal grandmother who chose to disappear in 1936 and whose surname was the only thing I knew about her, was successfully concluded earlier this year.

But having finally discovered how and where she died, my quest, instead of coming to an end, just exploded in my face…. My mother understood from my maternal grandmother that she was ‘an only child’ – and for the record, so was I. So you may imagine my surprise when doing long and difficult research, I discovered that in fact there may be a number of relatives ‘out there’!

My problem is that despite subscriptions to various search sites like Ancestry, Find My Past etc. I have only uncovered the facts that they were all born, many married and some had families…. But to all intents and purposes NONE OF THEM DIED!!!!

That's the brick wall that I’ve been facing now for several months…'their disappearance'. So I have come to the conclusion that I’m really a very (very) amateur genealogist and am in desperate need of HELP!

These are a couple of the people I’m trying to trace:

1. Mary Ellen Stapleton. Born: Feb. 1886 Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Wife of Frederick William Edmed 2nd. Where/when did she die?

2. Victor Claude EDMED. Born: 1894 Malta. Died where?
    Married to: Lily M.A. Tyson in 1922. Died where/when?
    Did they have any children?

3. Frederick William Edmed 3rd. Born: 1889 Alexandria, Egypt
    1st wife: Katie Savill. Born: 1890/91. Married: 1913. They died where/when?

details of children removed

2nd wife (?) Emily Rose Gunter: M after 1920 where(?)
    Children: 2 sons both died in WW2.
    N.B. She was still alive in 1949 and living in Battersea.

As you can see – not just ONE brick wall, but a veritable building site!
    Last edited by KiteRunner; 16-06-08, 17:59.

Frederick W Edmed m. Emily R E Gunter 4th Q 1921 Edmonton 3a 1118
    but I can't find Katie's death yet - or p'haps divorce?
    Bridget

Comment

Originally posted by BridgetM View Post
      Frederick W Edmed m. Emily R E Gunter 4th Q 1921 Edmonton 3a 1118
      but I can't find Katie's death yet - or p'haps divorce?
      Oh...that is incredible!!! Thank you SO much Bridget.

I've been searching for nearly a year and had almost come to the conclusion that they were cohabiting. Emily was the daughter of my maternal grandmothers second husband, and she married her brother. This of course made my grandmother both her step mother and her sister-in-law!

It's a looooong story, but one that I've 'almost' finished writing. This new bit of info is a real help!

Comment

Sorry, Elba, I've had to remove the names of the children because, as you pointed out, they might still be alive, and our site's policy is not to post up details that could identify people who are still alive.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Benvenuta Elba, e saluti da un piovoso Piemonte. :(

Mary

Comment

Might be worth contacting the people running the Edmed one-name study:

Edmed One-Name Study

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
              Benvenuta Elba, e saluti da un piovoso Piemonte. :(

Mary
              Grazie mille Mary... La pioggia non smette nemmeno qui nella Valtellina. Sta ancora piovendo a catinelle!!!

I'll try contacting the 'one name site'. Could be interesting. I did have a quick look and their 'blog' stopped in 2005!!!
              Last edited by elba; 16-06-08, 21:16.

Comment

I have been trawling Elba .... but the only likely death I found was Frederick W. Edmed 4th Q 1939 Battersea 1d 404 ... but I don't think he was on your query list :(

I have looked 1917-1940 but must take a break as the cricket has finished & my hubby wants company ;)
                Bridget

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                  Sorry, Elba, I've had to remove the names of the children because, as you pointed out, they might still be alive, and our site's policy is not to post up details that could identify people who are still alive.
                  Oh dear, I'm so sorry...
                  Of course you are right to remove thier names. I suppose I am so conditioned to thinking that from all these people, no one will still be alive. But of course those three could be...
                  (Though they would be pretty old now - 94, 93 and 91. But there IS that possibility - Oh if only that were possible)

Comment

Originally posted by BridgetM View Post
                    I have been trawling Elba .... but the only likely death I found was Frederick W. Edmed 4th Q 1939 Battersea 1d 404 ... but I don't think he was on your query list :(

I have looked 1917-1940 but must take a break as the cricket has finished & my hubby wants company ;)
                    Thank you so much for your time Bridget.
                    Yes, the Frederick William you found is my grandmothers father, my great grandfather. I only found his date of death last month when I finally managed to get his military service records. He was a career soldier. He married Mary Ellen Stapleton in Halifax, NS, Canada.

I miss being able to watch the cricket - but hey... there are plenty of other nice things here to occupy me most days! :D

Comment

Mary E. Stapleton

Hi Elba,

I took a look at the Nova Scotia Historical Vital Statistics Website and found a marriage for a Mary Stapleton and a Frederick W. Edwards in February 1886 - could this be your couple? Frederick was a bachelor, aged 24, while Mary was a spinster, aged 17. I can't read Frederick's occupation very well - it looks something like Bandsman (?) RIR (?) [the 2 Royal Irish Rifles (86th Regiment) were stationed in Halifax from 1883 to 1886]. Neither Mary's nor Frederick's place of birth is listed, unfortunately, although Frederick's father's name is given as "Fred. W.".

If this is your couple, then I think I've also found Mary's birth on the same site. She's recorded as Mary E. Stapleton, born 28 Jany. 1869, to John and Mary (nee Mulloy?) Stapleton.

Hope this helps.

Tim
                      "If we're lucky, one day our names and dates will appear in our descendants' family trees."

Comment

Originally posted by Canadian Cousin View Post
                        Hi Elba,

I took a look at the Nova Scotia Historical Vital Statistics Website and found a marriage for a Mary Stapleton and a Frederick W. Edwards in February 1886 - could this be your couple? Frederick was a bachelor, aged 24, while Mary was a spinster, aged 17. I can't read Frederick's occupation very well - it looks something like Bandsman (?) RIR (?) [the 2 Royal Irish Rifles (86th Regiment) were stationed in Halifax from 1883 to 1886]. Neither Mary's nor Frederick's place of birth is listed, unfortunately, although Frederick's father's name is given as "Fred. W.".

If this is your couple, then I think I've also found Mary's birth on the same site. She's recorded as Mary E. Stapleton, born 28 Jany. 1869, to John and Mary (nee Mulloy?) Stapleton.

Hope this helps.

Tim
                        Hi Canadian Cousin,
                        Thank you so much for taking the time to check this out for me. It is really appreciated!

Yes that's my great grandfather - he was indeed a bandsman in the RIR and was on a 3 year posting to Halifax when he met and married 17 year old Mary Stapleton. I have her DOB as 20th Jan. 1869 and she was the daughter of Mary Mullay from Ireland.

I am working on Frederick's (ggf) story at the moment, but it is still a work in progress - If it's of any interest, I've attached what I have so far....

Once again, Thank you.
                        elba
                        Attached Files

Comment

You could try looking at the old phone books on Ancestry, to get an idea how long they lived. It's a bit of a long job, though. Electoral rolls are another possibility (held by local libraries).

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                            You could try looking at the old phone books on Ancestry, to get an idea how long they lived. It's a bit of a long job, though. Electoral rolls are another possibility (held by local libraries).
                            Oh Mary - Those phone books.....aaaaah - what pain they caused to my eyesight ! Hours and hours reading about almost every Edmed who ever had a GPO phone. But (so far) nothing.

I've been writing Episodes for my journal at each stage that new details have come to light and while I have managed to trace 'back' from abaout 1913, my problems have all been encountered from 1911 onwards. The Edmeds were nothing if not complicated - believe me!

Haven't tried the electoral rolls simply because living here in Italy now, that is a difficult thing to achieve. Unless libraries undertake requested searches. I've no idea.

I've just had a look at the One Name site for Edmeds and it is a little disappointing inasmuch as it doesn't seem to be active any longer. What it does have is basically all the Kent based Edmeds...

Comment

Oh, that's a shame - I didn't actually look at the site, just posted the address.

I don't know how long you've been researching, so excuse me if you already know all this, but it's going to be a long job tracing the deaths you're looking for.

FreeBMD is adding new records all the time, but they only go up to about 1922. BMDs between 1984 and 2005 are indexed on Ancestry, but I've had a quick look, and I can't see any of them.

For deaths between the early 1920s and 1983 the only solution is to trawl through the indexes on Ancestry, which means looking at the image for every quarter separately.
                              It can be done, but you need a lot of patience.

As far as electoral rolls go, I believe some libraries will do look-ups - might be worth an e-mail.

Comment

Mary,
                                Thanks for the heads up on those details about FMBD ongoing updating. I didn't know that. All the people that I'm looking for (regarding deaths) will have been registered after 1922 - with the possible exception of Mary Ellen Stapleton. I can 'pinpoint' the EDMEDS I'm looking for in a variety of situations after that. But that isn't the case with their spouses...
                                You don't reckon they got bumped off do you ???

Thank you too for the information about Electoral Roll's and libraries. That will be useful!
                                Last edited by elba; 17-06-08, 12:47.

Comment

Could this be Victor Claud's death?

CLAUDE V. EDMED 4thQ 1947 Age 53 Watford 4b 273
                                  Bridget

Comment

Death - Frederick W. Edmed Age 65 1stQ 1954 Chelsea 5c 383
                                    Bridget

Comment

Well done, Bridget - how did you find them so quickly?

Comment

Elba, you can find the FreeBMD coverage charts here:

FreeBMD : Coverage Charts

Comment

Working...
                                        X