Help finding Diana Bavins on Census 1881 Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help finding Diana Bavins on Census 1881 Please

Please help me find Diana Smith in the Census 1881, she appears to be elusive to me and anyone else thats looked!

Born Diana Bavins, Stoke Bruerne, Northants abt 1811. Married John Henry Smith in Sussex 1839 (John Henry was from Shutlanger)

Census 1871 shows Diana and John H in Turvey, Beds. (John Henry died in Beds August 1871) In the 1841 and 1851 Census she is named as 'Hannah'!!!

Diana, according to Burial records died in March 1883 and is buried St. Mary's Stoke Bruerne where she was Christened. Northants Archives told me there is no 'plan' of burials for St Mary's, so when I visited the UK earlier this year I wasn't able to find a gravestone for her!

I received this morning her death certificate which states -

Died 1881 Stoke Bruerne. Signature, description and residence of informant .... Richard Dyke, Guardian, Stoke Bruerne, present at death

Just checked out Richard Dyke on Census 1891 - Lock Keeper at Stoke Bruerne, married to Alice E, she was born Essex. 'Bells started ringing'! Looked up marriage for Richard Dyke in 1878 shows he married Annie E Smith. This is the grand daughter to Diana. Annie Elizabeth born Sible Hedringham, Essex. Family on Census 1871 Turvey, Beds

There I was thinking I may have solved this - Guess what! I can't find either Richard Dyke or his wife Annie/Alice on the Census 1881 either! The rest of the family, Annies' parents, are in Heanor, Derbys BUT no Diana, Annie or Richard Dyke!

Can anyone help me please
    Glenda

I think this might be Richard Dyke transcribed as Duke in 1881. Wife Annie 20 and daughter Alice 1, Occ Canal Tug Driver.

RG11; Piece: 1535; Folio: 93; Page: 14
    Fiona. xx

Comment

Originally posted by belgiumbird View Post
      I can't find either Richard Dyke or his wife Annie/Alice on the Census 1881 either!
      1881 - transcribed as Duke
      RG11; Piece: 1535; Folio: 93; Page: 14;
      Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by fiona c View Post
        I think this might be Richard Dyke transcribed as Duke in 1881. Wife Annie 20 and daughter Alice 1, Occ Canal Tug Driver.

RG11; Piece: 1535; Folio: 93; Page: 14
        Makes sense. Stoke Bruerne is at the south end of Blisworth Tunnel.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Stoke Bruerne is a place we go on a regular basis- if you want me to have a look for you sometime, just shout
          Jess

Comment

Well! that's Richard and Annie out the way - Thank you all very much. :-) Who'd have thought to look at DUKE, thanks Fiona C.

And Jessbowbag - I'm shouting! I can well imagine why you go to Stoke Bruerne on a regular basis. It was my first visit and I was quite overwhelmed with the place, even though it was bucketing down and I hadn't any wellies either!

It's the birthplace of my 3x great grandparents Diana and John Henry. So, if you want a trudge through gravestones in St Mary's I would be eternally grateful particularly if you find any evidence of the above! :-)

Now where was she in 1881!
            Last edited by belgiumbird; 16-06-08, 16:15.
            Glenda

Comment

There's this pair of SMITHs: mother (Ann) and son (David), both widowed:
              RG11/1535 fo 103 p 5

You'd need to see if they crop up in other censuses to eliminate them.

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Could she have remarried?

And Diana sometimes gets rendered as Dinah.

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                  There's this pair of SMITHs: mother (Ann) and son (David), both widowed:
                  RG11/1535 fo 103 p 5

You'd need to see if they crop up in other censuses to eliminate them.

Christine

I think I saw those two on the 1871, when Diana was with her husband.

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                    Could she have remarried?

And Diana sometimes gets rendered as Dinah.

Christine
                    Her death reg is in the name Smith.

Maybe she was deaf and didn't open the door to the enumerator?

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                      Maybe she was deaf and didn't open the door to the enumerator?
                      That's funny and as they say "many a true word spoken in jest"! ;)

The Ann and David you quoted Christine are in the Shutlanger Census's 1871 and 1861.

John Henry Census 1851 is visiting Diana's rellies but named as Henry, HO107/1497 folio 423 pg 39
                      Glenda

Comment

Working...
                      X